Lori Apthorp

mystery of missing emails

:blink: I hope someone can help me here. It is a problem using apple's Mail app and rules. We have 2 computers at home, my husband is on Jaguar OS and I am on Tiger. We have a .Mac mail account. We are getting our internet through cable modem with a D-link router (wired). Often, when receiving email, he will get emails that don't show up on my computer. Sometimes, I get email that he doesn't see. I tried to create some identical rules for sorting email, and that may be complicating things. If he upgrades to Tiger, and can sync his rules to my rules will it work any better? I am tired of waiting for reply emails, and discover that they came to my husbands machine without showing up on mine. Any ideas here? Thanks, Lori

:blink: I hope someone can help me here. It is a problem using apple's Mail app and rules. We have 2 computers at home, my husband is on Jaguar OS and I am on Tiger. We have a .Mac mail account. We are getting our internet through cable modem with a D-link router (wired). Often, when receiving email, he will get emails that don't show up on my computer. Sometimes, I get email that he doesn't see. I tried to create some identical rules for sorting email, and that may be complicating things. If he upgrades to Tiger, and can sync his rules to my rules will it work any better? I am tired of waiting for reply emails, and discover that they came to my husbands machine without showing up on mine. Any ideas here? Thanks, Lori

I don't have a .Mac account, so this could be something unique to .Mac accounts that I am unfamiliar with. However, this sounds eerily familiar to a common problem when sharing 1 email address across multiple machines. You need to make sure that Apple Mail is not deleting the messages on the server. Look under the Mail menu and select preferences. Find the settings for your account. On most accounts you will want to look under the Advanced tab for a setting that says "Remove copy from server when retrieving", or something similar to that. You probably don't want that option selected in your case.

- Tim

I don't have a .Mac account, so this could be something unique to .Mac accounts that I am unfamiliar with. However, this sounds eerily familiar to a common problem when sharing 1 email address across multiple machines. You need to make sure that Apple Mail is not deleting the messages on the server. Look under the Mail menu and select preferences. Find the settings for your account. On most accounts you will want to look under the Advanced tab for a setting that says "Remove copy from server when retrieving", or something similar to that. You probably don't want that option selected in your case.

- Tim

Thanks Tim

.mac does not give that option. I find that the missing emails are not on the .mac web account either, even though my husband hasn't opened them yet. Any ideas would be appreciated. Happy New Year, Lori

Thanks Tim

.mac does not give that option. I find that the missing emails are not on the .mac web account either, even though my husband hasn't opened them yet. Any ideas would be appreciated. Happy New Year, Lori

I just did a quick search of Apple's .Mac support page to get more info. It appears that .Mac supports both of the the major mail retrieval standards, POP and IMAP. The default for Apple Mail when using a .Mac account is IMAP. If you have not changed that default on either computer, then you should be fine. If, however, either of your computers is set up to use POP, that could be the source of your problem. By default, a POP-configured client will typically remove mail from the server as it is downloaded to your machine. So first check and make sure that neither computer has the .Mac account configured to use POP.

If both computers are using IMAP, then the only thing I can think of is that something in your filters is causing messages to be moved and/or deleted. I haven't used Apple's mail filters so I'm not sure if that's possible. I'll take a poke around if I get a few minutes to spare.

- Tim

Lori,

I think you got your eyeballs in the wrong place for solving this. Don't be looking for settings in .MAC to take care of this, but rather Apple Mail itself on each computer.

If that .MAC mail account IS setup as a POP mail system, then the way to handle this is to: On each computer, open Apple Mail, Go to the MAIL pull down menu at the top, then to PREFERENCES, then to ACCOUNTS, select the .MAC account on the left, go to the ADVANCED tab, and on the line that says "Remove copy from server after retrieving a message:" , make sure that box is UN-checked.

I don't know how this is handled on a IMAP account, as I've never had one. But if you're using POP, this should do the trick. Another thought, if .MAC is setup for IMAP, perhaps switching to POP will remedy this.

Edited by Mark Sheppard

Lori,

I think you got your eyeballs in the wrong place for solving this. Don't be looking for settings in .MAC to take care of this, but rather Apple Mail itself on each computer.

If that .MAC mail account IS setup as a POP mail system, then the way to handle this is to: On each computer, open Apple Mail, Go to the MAIL pull down menu at the top, then to PREFERENCES, then to ACCOUNTS, select the .MAC account on the left, go to the ADVANCED tab, and on the line that says "Remove copy from server after retrieving a message:" , make sure that box is UN-checked.

I don't know how this is handled on a IMAP account, as I've never had one. But if you're using POP, this should do the trick. Another thought, if .MAC is setup for IMAP, perhaps switching to POP will remedy this.

Either approach should work. In general, IMAP should work better in this case, but the POP settings you describe above can work as well. The key is to make sure that both computers are configured the same way. IMAP is designed to always keep messages on the server until you explicitly delete them. For multi-computer email access, IMAP is usually preferred. Here's a link to an Apple's support entry on this topic.

Again, either IMAP or POP can work. Just make sure both computers are accessing the same way, and if you use POP make sure to leave a copy on the server as described above.

- Tim

Lori,

Thanks Mark

I have looked at my Apple Mail settings, and I have the selection "keep copies of messages for offline viewing - all messages and their attachments" and for account type it states .Mac (this is where it would say POP or IMAP). I even have "Store deleted messages on the server for one week." Any other ideas?

Thanks, Lori

Thanks Mark

I have looked at my Apple Mail settings, and I have the selection "keep copies of messages for offline viewing - all messages and their attachments" and for account type it states .Mac (this is where it would say POP or IMAP). I even have "Store deleted messages on the server for one week." Any other ideas?

Thanks, Lori

I'm sorry Lori, but I think you lost me. It may be for the fact that I've never had a .MAC account (and don't wish to, at $99 a year), but the "settings" you have described don't seem to appear in my Apple Mail setup. That, or I can't find them, or only appear if it's setup for a .MAC account. I'm here to learn just as much as you are.

Sorry I couldn't have been more help.

P.S. - Gmail set up for pop delivery to Apple mail rocks. If you happen to choose to go that way, I got help for ya all over the place. :-)

I agree with Mark on his last sentence. Or at least what I think he's saying. You guys should consider getting something like a gmail account each. Having your own mail is really a pretty good idea. And it's $99 less a year. ;)

I agree with Mark on his last sentence. Or at least what I think he's saying. You guys should consider getting something like a gmail account each. Having your own mail is really a pretty good idea. And it's $99 less a year. ;)

I'm flattered Daniel. You're only obligated to agree with one sentence of mine per month. :-) The rest could be hogwash.

Lori and hubby could get ONE Gmail account and make this work the way she wants. Never touched Jaguar, so I don't know if it handles mail radically different than Tiger. Hard to believe if it does.

This discussion reminds of the NOTMAC challenge.... I hope this comes to fruition. The syncing and backup services of .MAC are great.... the other stuff .MAC gives you are mediocre or offered virtually free elsewhere. The NOTMAC challenge is a movement that is amassing money to pay a developer or developers to reproduce the most valuable features of .MAC and offer them freely to the public and save us a hundred bucks a year to boot. I'm watching this closely.... over $4800 has been collected so far. But I haven't seen anyone take up the challenge yet. I will post when more info is known.

Edited by Mark Sheppard

Thanks guys

I like the .Mac account for more than just the cool email address. I like the easy-to-create web pages and photo albums with the option of password protection.

The settings are the same on both computers. According to the Apple link on IMAP, this shouldn't be happening.

Yes, it is true we could start separate accounts, but we have had this address for many years, and it might be difficult to switch people over.

I wonder if Leopard will have a newer version of Mail, and if we both switch to that maybe all will be cured.

Regards, Lori

Thanks guys

I like the .Mac account for more than just the cool email address. I like the easy-to-create web pages and photo albums with the option of password protection.

The settings are the same on both computers. According to the Apple link on IMAP, this shouldn't be happening.

Yes, it is true we could start separate accounts, but we have had this address for many years, and it might be difficult to switch people over.

I wonder if Leopard will have a newer version of Mail, and if we both switch to that maybe all will be cured.

Regards, Lori

Well Lori, if you're in love with .MAC that is fine. But you don't have to use it for email, if this is the only thing getting in your way right now. Like we said, you can use Gmail with your Apple Mail seamlessly... Google has full step-by-step picture instructions how to set up Apple mail for this. Then you can continue to use .MAC for everthing else that you like it for.

No extra $ expended.

Well Lori, if you're in love with .MAC that is fine. But you don't have to use it for email, if this is the only thing getting in your way right now. Like we said, you can use Gmail with your Apple Mail seamlessly... Google has full step-by-step picture instructions how to set up Apple mail for this. Then you can continue to use .MAC for everthing else that you like it for.

No extra $ expended.

I need an invitation to join Gmail. Anyone care to invite me? apthorp@mac.com

Thanks, Lori