Sign in to follow this  
seaners

Cut and Pasting Files

I have 5gigs left on my iBook. I need to move a 20 gig iTunes library to another location on the mac, I can only get it to copy the file, so it trys to write the 20 gigs into the remaining 5, which obviously doesn't work.

Some help would be nice

thanks in advance

Sean

maybe use terminal to move the folder? or perhaps just drag and drop the folder wich will make a copy on the other drive but not copy it to the clipboard.

seaners: Did you want to move files off of your iBook because you only have 5GB free on it, or was it something else that you're trying to accomplish? Is there a particular set of steps that can recreate the problem?

Drag and drop in Finder moves files by default within the same volume. If you're trying to move files between different volumes, you'll run into the same lack-of-space problem whether you are moving or copying files because the destination volume will fill up equally.

seaners: Did you want to move files off of your iBook because you only have 5GB free on it, or was it something else that you're trying to accomplish? Is there a particular set of steps that can recreate the problem?

Drag and drop in Finder moves files by default within the same volume. If you're trying to move files between different volumes, you'll run into the same lack-of-space problem whether you are moving or copying files because the destination volume will fill up equally.

except I would assume that the destination volume has plenty of space on it. Otherwise why bother moving the files? Still I am not sure if dragging and dropping copies the files to the clipboard when it moves them.

right, just to clear it up as i was vague, i want to move a 20 gig folder from the mac hd, to another folder within the mac hd

so i want to cut the folder so its space is no longer a problem, then paste it into the folder

at the moment it tries to just copy the file, and that doesn't work

Weird, if its on the same volume then the default action is just a move when clicking and dragging. Try holding the Command key down while you drag it, that will change the behavior to move.