Sign in to follow this  
tech414996

Using US Mac in UK

I want to buy my parents an iMac or Mac Mini. They live in England and it would be great to iChat with them and move them out of PC hell. I would really like to save some $ and buy the Mac here in the US and send it over with to them. Can they simply use a travel plug or change out the power cord to use it in the UK? I think they use 240V versus 220V here??

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Cheers

I want to buy my parents an iMac or Mac Mini. They live in England and it would be great to iChat with them and move them out of PC hell. I would really like to save some $ and buy the Mac here in the US and send it over with to them. Can they simply use a travel plug or change out the power cord to use it in the UK? I think they use 240V versus 220V here??

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Cheers

simple answer yes but i wouldnt recoomend a travel plug maybe buy them a replacment power adaptor to be on the safe side.

simple answer yes but i wouldnt recoomend a travel plug maybe buy them a replacment power adaptor to be on the safe side.

Thanks Pieman. Are you speaking from experience? Or is this just that easy?

Thats easy. you will want to buy a mac mini power adapter from the uk just to be sure. travel plug is not as reliable.

They will make you pay duty to import it into the UK so it will end up being about the same price anyway, it is illegal to import without paying the duty,

If you have a problem with the machine and phone up applecare, when they ask you for the serial number it will show that it will show up as an American system which means they might not serve you.

Considering the volume of problems the intel units have suffered, I would definately not risk it.

Edited by The Dead Herring

They will make you pay duty to import it into the UK so it will end up being about the same price anyway, it is illegal to import without paying the duty,

If you have a problem with the machine and phone up applecare, when they ask you for the serial number it will show that it will show up as an American system which means they might not serve you.

Considering the volume of problems the intel units have suffered, I would definately not risk it.

not if he brings it in personally they wont