Sign in to follow this  
camdavec

-36 error when syncing iPod in iTunes

From the user question what to do if you get a “-36 error” when syncing iPod in iTunes, I had something similar to this when I setup my iPod Photo in iTunes to sync with iPhoto. It happened when using iTunes 4.8 and 4.9 (but had not updated to the latest version of iPhoto, version 5.0.4).

In the iPod options in iTunes I had chosen to sync to iPhoto. in my case I was trying to get a specific album, but it didn't give me any choices to choose from (should have been my first clue). Whenever I would sync I would get an error (I think it was a error -50 ... but I don't remember it right now).

I could sync my photos fine whenever I used a folder, but if I tried to choose anything under iPhoto it failed.

Then, after updating to the iPhoto 5.0.4 right after it became available, it worked fine in either mode (folders or iPhoto) and the error went away.

So, if this user is having trouble with the error and it is on an iPod Photo, then try updating iPhoto as well...see if that helps.

-camDaveC

I had this same problem with my 20GB 4th generation ipod (greyscale). I only had the issue when using the USB 2.0 cable, as the firewire cable worked just fine. Restoring the ipod did not help. I suggest trying a different cable, or taking it to your local apple store, and having them take a look.

I'm not sure if any of you have tried this yet, but launch Disk Utility when your iPod is docked and try verifying and repairing the permissions on the iPod's hard drive.

The worst that can happen is that it doesn't help. :wink:

I had this problem a few months ago when I got my iPod photo. It said exactley the same thing with me. All I did was insted of syncing my iPod with my iPhoto library I synced it with my Pictures folder. It contains all the stuff from your iPhoto library as it goes straight through the folders in your Pictures folder and finds all the photos you have. It worked for me so it should work for you. If it dosen't then I can't help you.... Unplug the machine and walk away.

I ran into this problem quite recently as well. It seemed to be about the time that I upgraded to iTunes 4.9 but I can't say for certain if there is any connection. The error was coming up for me everytime I tried to update my iPod. I recently upgraded to a new iMac and before it I was using a G3 iBook and I never had the problem with the laptop.

I tried the iPod updater route and did a full restore with no luck, in fact that didn't go very smoothly itself. The problem got worse when I plugged in my external firewire hard drive in order to back up my iTunes library. For the first time ever I was not able to write data to the drive, same error message as with the iPod.

I finally did some searching in the Apple support discussions and ran across a couple of posts regarding similiar problems. ( for example, in the discussions search for "ipod isight conflict firewire") The suggestion was made to disconnect any other firewire devices, ie. iSight and sure enough that fixed the problem. With no iSight plugged in I had no errors with either the iPod or the hard drive. I plugged the iSight back in and the problems return.

It sure seems as if there is some kind of conflict with the iSight and other firewire devices but it actually seems more complicated than that even. There may be some software version interaction as well. Some suggestions were made that the firewire ports are under-powered but it seems unlikely that the iMac G5 has a lower powered port than a G3 iBook but then I have not gone back to try synching on the iBook with the updated versions of Tiger and iTunes. Besides I'm pretty sure that the external hard drive is not getting power from the firewire port.

Anyway, for me this has solved the problem. Now the issue of having to keep my iSight uplugged and then plugging it in when I want to use iChat is a whole other topic. I sure hope Apple fixes it.

Regards,

Tim

Listener Mike points out that the cable you are using may also cause this error

I have had the same problem error with an external firewire drive and

now my previously working iPod.  The devices would work on my notebook,

but not my PowerMac.  They would mount, but the drives would spin

continuously and slow down the finder. It turns out that different

firewire cables were at fault in both instances.  With the iPod, I

tried restoring via iPod updater and running disk utility.  I decided

to try hooking up to my iBook using my wife's ipod mini cable and it

worked just fine.  Using the same cable with my PowerMac solved the problem.

Hi, I got this error on my new Photo 60 Gig and found a post in the Apple discussion site that suggests that it's a power issue with the front ports on a G5 using USB. I moved it to the back of my Cinema Display, and did not get the problem (however it reverted to USB1.1 speed) so I ended up getting the combo firewire/USB connector, and use it off the Firewire hub I have connected to the back and no problems.

Sign in to follow this