Hey everybody...

I have to write this persuasive speech and decided to go with Mac vs. PC, taking the side that Macs are far superior.

I need multiple reasons that support why Macs are better... and I would greatly appreciate any suggestions!

I already have

• ilife
  • little to no viruses
  • ready out-of-the-box
  • no driver searching
  • windows & osx in one

If you can think of any more reasons that are stronger, plz let me know!

THanks a ton,

Steve

Rewording and expanding on some of the aspects that you've chosen already, might help make for a more compelling arguement.

• Great value! A number of included high quality programs, that a consumer won't have to purchase after getting their new Mac.
  • Stability! The UNIX backbone along with the tight integration of OS and hardware, make Macs run for months on end, without a reboot or crash.
  • User Friendly! A simplified dock, intuitive apps, and overall design, that any user can get accustomed to quickly.
  • Internet Security! Virtually free of viruses and malware. No Anti-Virus or Anti-Spyware necessary.
  • Design! A Mac is something that can sit on your desk and look more like a work of art, rather than a kitchen appliance.
  • Software! A wealth of high quality freeware and low cost shareware is available on the Internet, Possibly, without the need to ever purchase an expensive, commercial software package.

There's a few. Hope that helps!

<br />Rewording and expanding on some of the aspects that you've chosen already, might help make for a more compelling arguement.<br /><ul><li>Great value! A number of included high quality programs, that a consumer won't have to purchase after getting their new Mac.</li><li>Stability! The UNIX backbone along with the tight integration of OS and hardware, make Macs run for months on end, without a reboot or crash.</li><li>User Friendly! A simplified dock, intuitive apps, and overall design, that any user can get accustomed to quickly.</li><li>Internet Security! Virtually free of viruses and malware. No Anti-Virus or Anti-Spyware necessary.</li><li>Design! A Mac is something that can sit on your desk and look more like a work of art, rather than a kitchen appliance.</li><li>Software! A wealth of high quality freeware and low cost shareware is available on the Internet, Possibly, without the need to ever purchase an expensive, commercial software package.</li></ul><br />There's a few. Hope that helps!<br />

wow im pretty sure that would convert pretty much any pc user to a mac user. you've probably said it all, so i have no other suggestions lol

Edited by Element4l

wow! thanks, I greatly appreciate it!

-steve

i'm assuming you're writing this speech for a high school public speaking class.. or the like. just a comment: good for you for speaking about macs. its kindof funny though, i've actually done almost the same thing, and i've found out that for most of the people in the class, they either dont understand most of the tech talk, or they just dont care. but good luck anyway. it'll be fun, i'm sure.

yeah... I know that's gonna happen

but my teacher said that he doesnt care what the topic or how detailed... He just wants to make sure its a strong speech with good support

+ ive already checked about the subject

This is actually one of the very limited amount of assignments i am excited to do :rolleyes:

-Steve

OS X comes with a browser that actually passes the industry-standard Acid2 Test. Screw IE!!!!

Hey everybody...

I have to write this persuasive speech and decided to go with Mac vs. PC, taking the side that Macs are far superior.

I need multiple reasons that support why Macs are better... and I would greatly appreciate any suggestions!

You can come up with all of the specific reasons you want, but they will probably not be all that persuasive to those who use Windows and have learned how to live with its flaws. A lot of it comes down to comfort level, and people are comfortable with Windows.

If the true goal of your speech is to persuade, then I suggest you combine all of the great concrete details you've mentioned, but throw in a bit of the more abstract reasons as well. I find them to be far more persuasive for most people I talk with. Here's a couple of examples from my own experience in persuading:

• It just works better: Most things that most people need to do with their computers can be done on either a Mac or a PC. But on a Mac you will spend far less time trying to make something work. You can instead spend your time getting things done.
  • Far fewer headaches to deal with: How much time and money have you spent installing anti-virus or anti-spamware software on your PC? How much time have you wasted because your PC as slowed to a crawl? With a Mac you will have very little (if any) of those problems. People can debate the reasons all they want, but the simple fact is that Mac users don't have to worry about these problems nearly as much.
  • Usability: When was the last time you used a new application and found that everything just works as expected? I'd bet that it rarely if ever happens on a PC. On a Mac it is pretty common. It is indisputable that Apple pays far more attention to usability than Windows does. Think of it this way: How many people actually think it makes sense to have "Shutdown" found within the "Start" menu?

Basically, I would recommend that you try to not focus on only listing out detailed facts that people might get bored with. Appeal to their common sense instead: We all want a computer that helps us do what we want to do. Make the argument that Macs to that much better than PC's do.

- Tim

Macs are soooooo SEXY!

I don't know how helpful this would be to everyone, but for me the way Mac's share with each other is just astounding compared to the rigmarole you have to go through to do the same with Windows.

I have an old PPC Mac Mini and my Intel iMac on the same router and this morning I added another Intel Mac Mini. Short of having to go into System Preferences and enable Personal File Sharing in Internet and Network > Sharing, there really isn't anything more to it than that. It just works.

I tried networking my Mac to three Windows machines at a LAN party once. It was slightly less pleasant than running naked through quick-setting glue while someone pours hospital waste in your eyes.

"Right click on My Computer"

"Properties"

"Device manager"

"Uninstall USB drivers"

"Apply"

"Restart"

"Right click on Network"

"Properties"

"Uninstall everything except TCP/IP"

"Apply"

"Restart"

*Gunk* "Can not find device c:/windows/stgs67.dll because Windows cannot find device c:/windows/stgs67.dll"

"Properties"

"Device manager"

"Uninstall USB drivers"

"Apply"

"Restart"

"Right click on Network"

"Properties"

"Apply"

"Restart"

*Gunk* "Are you sure you want to end third world poverty?"

"Apply"

"Yes"

"Continue"

"OK"

"Restart"

*Gunk* "You can not end world poverty because Windows cannot find c:/windows/rfihuryh88.dll

*Gunk* "Your system has performed an illegal function. Do you want to restart, shutdown or buy a real computer?"

Versus...

"Mac"

"Yes sir?"

"There's another Mac on the network, show me it please."

"Sure.", "Hey Brian!"

"Dooooood!!"

"Dooooood!"

"This connection cannot be edited because it is active"

I tried to edit a connection and it accually said this.

"This connection cannot be deactivated because it is active"

So I tried to deactivate it and it said this. This is what the window accually said with of course the *Gunk*

Edited by kensterator

I don't know how helpful this would be to everyone, but for me the way Mac's share with each other is just astounding compared to the rigmarole you have to go through to do the same with Windows.

I have an old PPC Mac Mini and my Intel iMac on the same router and this morning I added another Intel Mac Mini. Short of having to go into System Preferences and enable Personal File Sharing in Internet and Network > Sharing, there really isn't anything more to it than that. It just works.

I tried networking my Mac to three Windows machines at a LAN party once. It was slightly less pleasant than running naked through quick-setting glue while someone pours hospital waste in your eyes.

"Properties"

"Device manager"

"Uninstall USB drivers"

"Apply"

"Restart"

"Right click on Network"

"Properties"

"Apply"

"Restart"

*Gunk* "Can not find device c:/windows/stgs67.dll because Windows cannot find device c:/windows/stgs67.dll"

"Properties"

"Device manager"

"Uninstall USB drivers"

"Apply"

"Restart"

"Right click on Network"

"Properties"

"Apply"

"Restart"

*Gunk* "Are you sure you want to end third world poverty?"

"Apply"

"Yes"

"Continue"

"OK"

"Restart"

*Gunk* "You can not end world poverty because Windows cannot find c:/windows/rfihuryh88.dll

*Gunk* "Your system has performed an illegal function. Do you want to restart, shutdown or buy a real computer?"

Versus...

"Mac"

"Yes sir?"

"There's another Mac on the network, show me it please."

"Sure.", "Hey Brian!"

"Dooooood!!"

"Dooooood!"

Sounds like driver problems, or an inexperience user. Either of which are hardly the fault of Windows. I don't see why you would be doing anything with USB devices when trying to network something. Unless you're using a USB adapter. and if it's an off-brand device it'll have bad drivers. At least Windows gives you an easy interface to deal with these problems. The Mac it either works, or it doesn't. And if take out everything but TCP/IP of course you won't be able to fileshare or anything... That needs Windows Networking....

I hate that about the Mac, I was trying to get an older printer working, and I couldn't tell if I had the right driver installed, or if the Mac was even seeing the device easily (the More Info button in About this Mac is useless). I eventually got it working when I found a driver that actually worked. But there isn't an easy way to tell if it's the driver, or a hardware problem, or what it is. Windows Device Manager works very well.