ipodman

iPHONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Notice he didn't mention on the demo what happens to your music when the phone rings?

I am sure there will be some glitches they will need to iron out after it first comes out.

Never get the first one.

I am going to wait as much as i want it.

1. To see if they go to verizon as well.

2. so they can fix all the problems I am sure it will have since its such new technology.

I could be wrong though. Good luck! :D

i wonder how much cingular is going to charge for the data usage of the phone. i mean they charge al ready for internet over their network. its most likely free over the wifi but probably cost a lot when it is over the edge network.

I honestly don't understand why there's so much insistance on this being a screw-up on Apple's part. What they have done seems to make perfect business sense. Some of my specific thoughts:

• Releasing an iPod only version rather than a phone: I have no doubt that Apple will do this when the time is right. From a business perspective, it makes very little sense to rush out a new iPod when sales of the current generation iPods are so crisp. Apple looked at the business opportunities of breaking into the phone market versus building on their existing iPod dominance. They decided that the phone market was something they needed to get going now. Makes perfect sense. A new video iPod will come - be patient
  • Going with Cingular exclusively: How many options did they really have right now. Verizon has good coverage in the US, but they have a nasty tendency of disabling phone features that compete with their own offerings. This is not a company that Apple wants to partner with at this particular time. After Verizon, Cingular generally has the best coverage in the US and they were likely willing to work with Apple as more of a partner at this time.
  • Going with GSM phones rather than Verizon or other CDMA-based phone makers: Last I checked, CDMA networks like Verizon's were limited to the US. GSM is where you want to play if your long-term goal involves the global market and not the US. Hitching yourself to a CDMA provider would be a mistake in the long run.

Don't get me wrong - I think it would be a mistake for Apple to remain with Cingular exclusively forever. I have a feeling that their deal with Cingular has some kind of expiration date, as most business contracts of this type typically have. Without knowing the details of the contract it's hard to say, but I strongly suspect that you will see Apple working with other providers in the US and elsewhere at some future date. Assuming that the Cingular exclusivity expires at some point, this is a smart move on Apple's part.

To make deals with every major provider right now would take an amazing amount of negotation and bargaining. Despite how promising this product looks, it is still possible that it will fail. It is a business risk for a cellular company to get involved with an unproven new product. The negotiations between Apple and Cingular were probably complex and difficult, each side having to compromise to come up with a deal that is mutually acceptable.

If this product is as successful as many people believe, Apple will be in a much stronger negotiating position with the likes of Verizon when they eventually want to extend service partner offerings. If lots of people are opting for Cingular because of the availability of the iPhone, Verizon is going to want in on the action. They will need the deal more than Apple does, so they are more likely to give up on demands like disabling Bluetooth syncing (as they apparently do now).

As far as I can tell, this seems like a smart way for Apple to play this thing out. I can understand the frustration of all of those non-Cingular folks who can't or don't want to change service. Still, it seems like a smart move on Apple's part.

Unless of course there's no expiration date on the exclusivity deal.

- Tim

I can't say how disappointed I am that Apple has decided to go with Cingular as a service provider.

Its like buying a Bentley with 4 permanent flat tires.

I cant express how disappointed I am that this isn't the 6G iPod. I'm all for the new iPod features and the wifi-internet features but even if it was affordable (which it isnt) then I still wouldnt want to use it as a phone. Why couldnt they announce a phone-free 30GB widescreen iPod+internet toy that I could buy immediately.

Notice he didn't mention on the demo what happens to your music when the phone rings?

Of course Steve showed this during the demo—it fades out and pauses, then resumes right where it left off when you end the call.

By the time its launch (if ever) in Europe the Nokia, Sony, Motorola, Samsung, etc will of killed it off with similar features and price. $499 / $599 maybe a good price in the states, but by the time it gets to rip off Britian then it will be priced £399 / £499 which is far to high, plus it will be out of date.

I highly doubt that these companies can develop anything close to the iPhone. They sure haven't done it so far. Face it, they just don't have the vision that Apple does. And also remember: Steve said they intend to protect their patents. That means these companies are going to have to develop their own ways to do the same things you see on the iPhone.

Funny you say this as the GSM network that Cingular uses allows for simultaneous voice and data while EV-DO (CDMA) can only do one at a time...

The future will be fun.

My biggest problem with the idea of having to switch service provider is this:

I've had an excellent deal with verizon for several years now. Regardless of this excellent cheap plan I'm on, half the people I talk to are on verizon and that's essentially free call time for me. I do not like cingular's calling plans and their all of my coworkers around the state who have cingular hate their service. The advantages of GSM over CDMA are nil when you can't get good a signal. Unless I move to a new area there is zero incentive for me to get an iphone. It's just frustrating that there are no options for service providers with this very cool phone.

next they need the camera that can see through walls then it'll be worth $500.

I wonder what they're going to do in other countries. I hope they don't bother to make it like they do in the US so that it's just unlocked and cheaper so I don't have to use the phone feature if I don't want to.