ipodman

iPHONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think it's $499 for the 4GB and $599 for the 8GB.

It's got 802.11b/g/(n according to wikipedia), Bluetooth, 3.5" touch screen, mini mac os x, safari, maps like google earth, an amazing interface, proximity sensor, accelerometer, and ambient light sensors, Quad-band GSM/EDGE, Battery Life: 16 hours audio, 5 hour talk/video/browse time

they should release a version without the phone that could be cheaper. if it wasn't on the apple website I would have thought it was a mockup.

Edited by ipodman

It's Real Expensive!!!!

And for something that's tied exclusively to Cingular and GSM, it's not worth it.

Was the pricing announced?

Also, typically how long after the event is it available for download from Apple's quicktime site? I just don't remember how long I usually wait 'til I can see it.

keep on checking here (http://www.apple.com/quicktime/guide/appleevents/), thats where they usually put the keynotes a few hours after it happens.

$499 for 4GB $599 for 8GB

i'm wondering if I could buy it in the US then take it to australia as it's not going to be here very soon. could you put an australian sim card in to make it work here?

yer, the screen resolution is a 3.5" 320x480 touch LCD which is like double the PSPs resolution

Edited by ipodman

I guess the international customer get stiffed again. If it is on GSM, then you can use it in Europe today!

Why then do we have to wait for a whole year!

To be honest it might well be obsolete by then and I will get a Nokia.

{EDIT}

I suspect that the US version will probably work in the UK if it is 'unlocked'. Still I need a new phone now, so I might just get a Blackberry Pearl.

I bet that a very similar beast without a radio and with a HDD will be released as a standalone iPod. That will be awesome and maybe even a available to those outside the US.

{EDIT 2}

Actually I should perhaps stop moaning, it isn't available in the US until June. 4 odd months is pretty reasonable to get it to Europe.

Edited by Eye_Doc

They're supposed to be releasing the Keynote at 6:00PM PST. Or so I've read.

I wasn't even remotely interested in this thing until I got a play by play of the Keynote. It looks amazing! Actually, $499 isn't that bad. It's supposed to come with 2 years of Service included. That's what was reported by this one rumor site's live feed, anyway. I can't wait to watch the real feed.

I can't say how disappointed I am that Apple has decided to go with Cingular as a service provider. Wait maybe I can. There is no way in Hell I would switch service providers to get a phone. I was really excited....

Edited by firewalk13

http://www.apple.com/iphone/keynote/

it's not up yet

yer US$499 is AU$640 and us$599 is AU$770 without gst. i'd like to get one without cingular or any provider so u can put any card in yourself.

it's got sensors in it to detect when you turn it. I wonder if you could get something like the macsaber for macbooks and ibooks with the harddrive sensor so you could use it as a lightsaber.

it's also got a wireless bluetooth headset which is cool.

Edited by ipodman

I can't say how disappointed I am that Apple has decided to go with Cingular as a service as a provider. Wait maybe I can. There is no way in Hell I would switch service providers to get a phone. I was really excited....

Agreed.

Cingular's service will never compare with Verizon.

Not only that, but GSM interferes with audio signals. How do they expect the podcasters and audio producers that make up a HUGE percentage of their customers to operate?

I can't say how disappointed I am that Apple has decided to go with Cingular as a service provider. Wait maybe I can. There is no way in Hell I would switch service providers to get a phone. I was really excited....

Agreed. I hate having a phone tied to a single provider. It drives me nuts! Even somethig like the Razr which you can now find for many carriers has different features depending on who you sign with. I hate that crap!

The iPhone is really impressive, but if Apple wanted to truly reinvent the cell phone they would have made the device open to any carrier (or at least most) carriers.

I've had T-Mobile for three years and have no complaints after having nothing but aggravation with Cingular. I have NO interest in changing providers.

I guess the international customer get stiffed again. If it is on GSM, then you can use it in Europe today!

Why then do we have to wait for a whole year!

To be honest it might well be obsolete by then and I will get a Nokia.

{EDIT}

I suspect that the US version will probably work in the UK if it is 'unlocked'. Still I need a new phone now, so I might just get a Blackberry Pearl.

I bet that a very similar beast without a radio and with a HDD will be released as a standalone iPod. That will be awesome and maybe even a available to those outside the US.

{EDIT 2}

Actually I should perhaps stop moaning, it isn't available in the US until June. 4 odd months is pretty reasonable to get it to Europe.

According to MacRumors live blog from the keynote, "Europe by Cal4 this year and Asia 2008"

he brought eric schmidt the google ceo on stage and he said that they were partnering together with the google maps and for wimax so you can use the iphone anywhere.

and they've also got a deal with yahoo for IMAP based mail for free when you get an iPhone. why not gmail if they're already partnering with google?

By the time its launch (if ever) in Europe the Nokia, Sony, Motorola, Samsung, etc will of killed it off with similar features and price. $499 / $599 maybe a good price in the states, but by the time it gets to rip off Britian then it will be priced £399 / £499 which is far to high, plus it will be out of date.

I was not bothered about the iPhone nor Apple TV. I was interested in movies on iTunes for the UK.

So disappointing Steve........

What a major screw up to go with Cingular. The iphone won't sell as much as it could if it was open to all networks. I would buy one as soon as they came out if it was on the Altell network. To bad apple try again.

What a major screw up to go with Cingular. The iphone won't sell as much as it could if it was open to all networks. I would buy one as soon as they came out if it was on the Altell network. To bad apple try again.

Yeah, what a screw up to make it just available as a phone too. Even withouth the phone, it has so many other great features - wifi, bluetooth, Safari, Photos, Coverflow and an Awesome UI etc

Even if they took out all the phone junk and sold it as an ipod/internet device for a little cheaper, I would be buying one today. Also they wouldnt have to wait for the FCC, they could have shipped them today!

There's no doubt that the iPhone is impressive, but I think more people would be impressed if they made that the new iPod without the phone.

i wonder how much cingular is going to charge for the data usage of the phone. i mean they charge al ready for internet over their network. its most likely free over the wifi but probably cost a lot when it is over the edge network.

i wonder how much cingular is going to charge for the data usage of the phone. i mean they charge al ready for internet over their network. its most likely free over the wifi but probably cost a lot when it is over the edge network.

All carriers offer data packages for Treos and Blackberries and I am sure this will be similar. One of the biggest risks right now is allowing over the air streaming with unlimited data plans. No carrier would risk that at this point. I wouldn't if I were them. Thing is, this sync is no different than what everyone of us uses for our iPod today.

I would expect Apple Phone plans.

Funny you say this as the GSM network that Cingular uses allows for simultaneous voice and data while EV-DO (CDMA) can only do one at a time...

The future will be fun.

wow i think it looks amazing, but i got a couple of questions. what about games that you can have from your ipod- (brick, tetris, etc) and also can you buy songs and movies on it because of the wi-fi?

Funny you say this as the GSM network that Cingular uses allows for simultaneous voice and data while EV-DO (CDMA) can only do one at a time...

Even though a large portion of business users who don't travel much internationally use Verizon. Bottom line, Cingular coverage is not as good as Verizon but sadly I'll have to swtich to get this phone.

- MT