TimothyMDean

Apple TV questions

some quicktime trailers are in HD

Who cares about trailers, i want movies, tv shows, i don't want to spend 300 dollars just to watch HD trailers.

If I have a new N Airport router with a Huge external Drive connected directly to the router. Will I be able to put all media on this external drive through slower Core Duo machines 802.11G and have my Apple TV connect to the standalone Hard Drive connected by USB as a network attached storage.

Basically will the router and hard drive alone be able to connect to Apple TV without having to have computers on?

Edited by insman

Agreed that wires are icky...

I'm guessing that Apple would not set up the AppleTV drivers to work in an Ad Hoc network. They wouldn't really have any incentive to do that that I can think of. As long as the AppleTV can work reasonably well without a new 802.11n base station, using either slower wifi networks or wired connections, I doubt that an ad-hoc network would be something they concern themselves with...

Might be a nice project for some hackers to tackle though!

- Tim

Well, I'm hoping you're wrong about this, because I have too many Macs on my network that are too old to upgrade to 'N'.

I've been assuming that I could link in an "ad-hoc" fashion similarly to the way I could stream audio to an Airport Express. I'm betting I can. If not, guess I've wasted $299...

I'm running the G-4 Mini with a 250 GB external HD and the Elgato Eye250 TV Tuner.

Methinks the AppleTV rig would be no better than the sub-DV viewer I already have.

The challenge being the same, . . find time to watch all the content that accumulates!

I just had a play around with "Visual Hub" (macworld.com/2428). It converts just about anything into anything. I dragged a DivX file into the window and then selected "Convert to iTunes" and it did just that. I could watch it in iTunes.

There are lots of other options as well, PSP, DV, DVD, AVI, MP$, WMV, MPEG, Flash. Very simple UI and pretty cheap.

This might help us that don't live in the USA where there is currently no reason at all to buy the Apple TV.

WP

I just had a play around with "Visual Hub" (macworld.com/2428). It converts just about anything into anything. I dragged a DivX file into the window and then selected "Convert to iTunes" and it did just that. I could watch it in iTunes.

There are lots of other options as well, PSP, DV, DVD, AVI, MP$, WMV, MPEG, Flash. Very simple UI and pretty cheap.

This might help us that don't live in the USA where there is currently no reason at all to buy the Apple TV.

WP

mpeg streamclip is also a good option (very similar features) and free.

Batch options in both products are very good for converting lots of files to common format