Sign in to follow this  
hurleyint1386

terminal in mac classic?

since mac os is a UNIX based operating system, then shouldn't there be a way to access a terminal in mac os classic also? or is there anything i could download to be able to use one? im running os 8.6 right now, and i really would like to use a terminal for some things. thanks a lot

Is Mac OS classic Unix based, or is only OS X unix based?

oh i always thought that all mac os's were unix based. it kinda makes me wonder what it's based on then if its not unix

Yeah, I think only OS X is unix. I'm not sure about Classic.

if os classic isnt unix based, and i'd like to do some c++ programming with os classic, then is there a compiler i could download? c++ is a very old language, so there must be something out there that i can write c++ source code in and get to work on 8.6

I always thought that OS X was the only unix based OS that Apple had, and that classic was something else. I just looked through wikipedia for about 15 minutes, and none of the articles said anytihng.

No, only OS X is UNIX. That's why you have to emulate Classic Apps, because it's based on a different system.

if os classic isnt unix based, and i'd like to do some c++ programming with os classic, then is there a compiler i could download? c++ is a very old language, so there must be something out there that i can write c++ source code in and get to work on 8.6

If you can find a copy of Codewarrior from Metrowerks(Motorola/Freescale) that was written for classic, they had a really good C/C++ IDE environment that would do C++.

Classic is not even close to being Unix or Unix like, it is an Apple proprietary real time OS. Not even multi-tasking. Actually a lot of the OS was written in pascal, I think this is a hold over from the Lisa OS. That is why when writing in C for classic most of the OS callback routines require you to identify them as pascal calls. They kind of got away from that with some of the later releases.

Actually we kind of got off topic here.

As far as a terminal interface for classic, there is no such thing. Since there is no concept of a command line or command line editorin classic there is nothing you could do anyway. The closest thing they have is the debugger interface that operated on the firmware, but you don't ever really want to be there. Unless you really know what you are doing, you will just get yourself in touble.

Thire were Only 2 Apple Operating Systems for The mac that were UNIX Based OS X of course and A/UX (Penelope) A/UX Booted after Mac OS Classic and added UNIX Functionality (Funny Now the backwards is done)

A/UX Even Had Native X11 Support with the TWM Window manager

Just a little Fun Mac Trivia

I forgot about the A/UX port for the Mac. Man that was a LONG time ago. I have drank a few brain cells away since then.

If I remember correctly that wasn't a very successful venture for Apple. It was really before it's time. Unix wasn't a very mainstream OS for users at the time unless you were using it for servers or you had absolutely no life or social skills. :D

I forgot about the A/UX port for the Mac. Man that was a LONG time ago. I have drank a few brain cells away since then.  

If I remember correctly that wasn't a very successful venture for Apple. It was really before it's time. Unix wasn't a very mainstream OS for users at the time unless you were using it for servers or you had absolutely no life or social skills.  :D

Hmm it was about 1994-95 I started using Linux around that time (look at wast was available at the time Windows 95 or a Mac OS that had not decovered how to be hacker Friendly yet)

and UNIX was commonly used at that time for Scientific Computing (it still is) and was the Market apple was aiming A/UX at. The problem was the Limitations of the 68K Processor it was not exactly the best processor in the world for that type of computing. unfortunately By the time the Power PC Shift was announced the Damage had been done. and their was no AU/X for PPC

The problem was the Limitations of the 68K Processor it was not exactly the best processor in the world for that type of computing.

Of course you have to remember Sun ran Solaris(their Unix) on that family of processor for a long time before they started using their current Spark(risc) architecture.

The problem was the Limitations of the 68K Processor it was not exactly the best processor in the world for that type of computing.

Of course you have to remember Sun ran Solaris(their Unix) on that family of processor for a long time before they started using their current Spark(risc) architecture.

Yes and that is why at that time the Big names in Scientific Computing was HP (GAG HP/UX Sucks), Thinking machines, IBM, SGI and Cray"

I didn't say they were good, I just said they did it. :wink:

They were a pretty small company back in the 80's when they did this. The ones you mentioned were definetly kickin' their butt back then.

If you can find a copy of Codewarrior from Metrowerks(Motorola/Freescale) that was written for classic, they had a really good C/C++ IDE environment that would do C++.  

releases.

im looking on the metrowerks website and im not really seeing anything for mac. also, would this work on 8.6? or would it require os 9?