Ken B

AppleTV falls short?

I've been looking forward to the "iTV" product as much as anyone else, but based on what I've been able to glean from the news and posts here it would seem to fall significantly short of other products already available from other manufacturers.

In my case, I'd want to be able to access backed-up commercial DVDs, DivX, Xvid, as well as iTunes sourced material, and it is my understanding that this cannot be achieved without re-encoding - a major pain. Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

I had been looking at an alternative product and was waiting for AppleTV to see if it was competitive. Looks like I'll be going with the MVIX 760 (http://www.mvixusa.com/product.php?product=mx760) after all. It's $30 more without a drive, but you get to choose what drive you want, and supports just about every audio/video format out there. Its effectively a NAS box as well. The only downside is the lack of auto-syncing, which I can live with.

Am I missing something? A number of other posters here have already asked about video_ts and DivX support. Is there any reason such people wouldn't go with MVix or some other equivalent?

Ken

My suggestion: Get a Mac Mini. Even a used one will be perfectly capable of playing all your stuff. Use something like VNC to connect to it, and you're set.

It can also be used a backup for your music and photo library etc.

Edited by Daniel Elessedil Kjeserud

It is a pity that it supports such a small number of video formats. Heck there is a lot of content that is in other formats.

I believe a lot of companies, Apple included, has to play their cards to satisfy the movie industry and they are playing it safe I guess but yeah, as of late Apple is coming out with a lot of great products but not as full blown as expected, hopefully rev 2 will improve the device in terms of video formats.

Does anybody know the answer to this: will the Apple TV be able to play movies from Video_TS folders? If not, then it's definitely not for me.

Do you know if there will be auto syncing support in this box?

Do you know if there will be auto syncing support in this box?

Yes. It'll be auto sync with one computer, and you can authorize five for streaming. They really need to put a bigger HD in there for it to be really useful for syncing though. They have to start selling HD movies soon, and then 40GB will be gone in a matter of hours. :blink:

Does anybody know the answer to this: will the Apple TV be able to play movies from Video_TS folders? If not, then it's definitely not for me.

Doubt it - if it doesn't support DVDs then it won't supports VOBs - native iTunes files only.

Mac Mini is the way to go for format support and flexibility

Sure, but if ALL you want is media playback, the mini is a much more expensive option compared to MVIX and others.

Definitely the way to go though if you'll ever use it for more than that.

Ken