Sign in to follow this  
dchad

What Accessories Can't you live without for your iBook?

Fellow Community Members,

Just picked up my new iBook last night and am wondering if any of you MAC geeks have any good suggestions regarding accessories for your iBooks! Things that you cannot live without!

Thanks

Derek

first of all, an iPod, but other than that it really depends on what you use it for. One thing that is cool though are some of the mini mice (especially if you use your iBook at home a lot).

Yep..my 3rd gen 15 gig IPOD is a mainstay on my Mac Mini. I go nowhere without it!

A Kensington Mini Mouse, a printer (HP is the best), and some good Harman/Kardon speakers. Those are the essentials.

a little program called SideTrack. It will let you do loads of cool things with your trackpad. such as vertical and horizontal scrolling, and making corner taps do keystrokes. check it out at...

http://www.ragingmenace.com/software/sidet...rack/index.html

its free to use but they bug you with pop-up dialouge boxes reminding you to register for 15 bucks. I think 15 is a steal for this replacement trackpad driver.

This is a must for anyone who has to scroll alot and would want 4 custom buttons (trackpad corners) for every app on your computer.

Thanks! But did you see the vertical and horizontal scrolling added by default to the new iBooks? Works pretty well! Just apply 2 fingers to the trackpad and it's as smooth as silk!

hey thanks for telling me about sidetrack. it's so useful and i had just been wishing that i had that new feature on the ibook, but now i think this is much better.

thanks a lot

-alex

There's actually a program, iScroll2, that replaces the firmware for older iBooks, so they have the same two-finger scroll ability as newer laptops. I installed this on my iBook, and it has worked great so far. I used to use SideTrack, as well, but I did kinda get sick of the popups, and since iScroll2 is free, it seems a lot better to me. Wow, that sounded like a completely lame and scripted customer testimonial. But, yeah, give it a try.

It is available here: http://www-users.kawo2.rwth-aachen.de/~raz...zfazz/iscroll2/

There's actually a program, iScroll2, that replaces the firmware for older iBooks, so they have the same two-finger scroll ability as newer laptops.  I installed this on my iBook, and it has worked great so far.  I used to use SideTrack, as well, but I did kinda get sick of the popups, and since iScroll2 is free, it seems a lot better to me.  Wow, that sounded like a completely lame and scripted customer testimonial.  But, yeah, give it a try.

It is available here:http://www-users.kawo2.rwth-aachen.de/~razzfazz/iscroll2/

do you think iScroll2 would work on an iBook G3? my friend has one, but no point in getting him excited about this possibility if it wouldn't work, anyway

There's actually a program, iScroll2, that replaces the firmware for older iBooks, so they have the same two-finger scroll ability as newer laptops.  I installed this on my iBook, and it has worked great so far.  I used to use SideTrack, as well, but I did kinda get sick of the popups, and since iScroll2 is free, it seems a lot better to me.  Wow, that sounded like a completely lame and scripted customer testimonial.  But, yeah, give it a try.

It is available here:http://www-users.kawo2.rwth-aachen.de/~razzfazz/iscroll2/

do you think iScroll2 would work on an iBook G3? my friend has one, but no point in getting him excited about this possibility if it wouldn't work, anyway

If you take a look at the website, the second question down, there is a nifty little script you can run, that will tell you if it is possible. When I did it the first time, it notified me that I had SideTrack installed, and that the two apps would conflict. Once I uninstalled SideTrack, I ran the script again and it said "Yeah, you can install it on your system", so I did and it's been great ever since. My suggestion would be to have your friend run the script, and if it suggests against installation, I wouldn't recommend it.