doneitner

Can iMac display be shut off but iMac still run?

I have a question for anyone with a recent iMac (G5 or Intel based). Can you have the computer running but put the display to sleep or turn it off to reduce power consumption? For example, if I am VNC'ing (remote desktop) into my iMac while I am not in front of the iMac, it's just a waste for the display to be turned on. Obviously with a Mac Pro with separate monitor I can just turn the monitor off and everything's grand, but I want to know about the iMac since that's what I'm planning to buy soon. Thanks!

Don

You can set the sleep time for the whole computer and just the display on any mac. Just set the sleep time to 1 minute, and after a minute the display will be off. If you're planning on vnc-ing into it though, make sure your actual computer never goes to sleep.

I use an applescript on my MacMini to change the sleep time of the monitor (the monitor I have has the power in a screwed up place)

display dialog "Sleep Monitor After One Minute" buttons {"On", "Off", "Cancel"} default button 3
set the button_pressed to the button returned of the result
if the button_pressed is "On" then
do shell script ("pmset dim 1") password "password" with administrator privileges
else if the button_pressed is "Off" then
do shell script ("pmset dim 0") password "password" with administrator privileges
else
quit
end if

Just change the "password" to your password (or omit and get a password prompt each time).

You can also change the 0 to whatever you want to be the amount of minutes you want the monitor to go to sleep after (0=No sleep).

You can set the sleep time for the whole computer and just the display on any mac. Just set the sleep time to 1 minute, and after a minute the display will be off. If you're planning on vnc-ing into it though, make sure your actual computer never goes to sleep.

But when I VNC in won't the activity on the system cause the monitor to power back up and stay on the whole time I'm remotely controlling it? This is what I'm hoping to avoid if possible. If I'm not directly in front of the machine, I don't want the display to be on at all. Thanks for the tip, though.

In Energy Saver you can independently set times for the monitor, I have my PowerMac G4's Apple Studio Display go to sleep in 5 minutes, while the computer never does. I login remotely and it doesn't cause the monitor to come on, only local mouse or keyboard movement will turn it on.

roog

In Energy Saver you can independently set times for the monitor, I have my PowerMac G4's Apple Studio Display go to sleep in 5 minutes, while the computer never does. I login remotely and it doesn't cause the monitor to come on, only local mouse or keyboard movement will turn it on.

roog

That is good to hear. Thank you very much everyone for the great responses.