Sign in to follow this  
tmack

Free alternative to "Tubesock"

I don't know if you covered this, but you can easily download videos from Youtube using Safari. Go to Youtube in Safari, find the video you want to download and clock on it. While it is playing, go up to "Window" in the menu bar, then in the drop-down menu, click on "Activity". A window will open, showing, what else, the activity. There will be a line with the words "get_video" in it. It should also be the largest file if you look over to the right side of the window, Usually anywhere around the 3 to 6MB range. Double-click that file and the download window will open and the file will download to your desktop or where-ever you have the default set. Then you can drop that into a free program like "iSquint", and have it converted for iTunes. I would then rename it something other than "get_video".

That's it! I don't want to discourage people from buying software like Tubesock, but I am all about free!

Donations are always welcome for programs like iSquint.

Great tip! Unfortunately the only free YouTube download/encode app that I knew of went shareware recently, so this is awesome. I am waiting for Tubular to actually work so I can use it, so until then, I am going to try this out.

both tube sock and the method you listed above using safari activity are okay... but no spectacular.

for saving youtube files (or any flash files on a website), VIXY.net is the best. you can use it in any browser, and any computer. it gives you options such as saving it to H.264, iPod Video compatible, etc... it's fairly fast too.

once again... that's

VIXY.net

- free, not shareware

- web app

- flash -> lots of save-able formats

Edited by nintapple