chris

Zen vs. iPod

ok, i kno this is a mac forum, but i was just curious...what makes iPods SOOOO much better than the zens? or are they? what are the arguments for each side? thanks a bunch!

ok, i kno this is a mac forum, but i was just curious...what makes iPods SOOOO much better than the zens? or are they? what are the arguments for each side? thanks a bunch!

EDIT: ohhhh zen, not zune Anyway as far as the zen my only issue is the lack of itunes. Itunes is a much better music manager than anything that anyone else has. I also like that the ipod will sync with my address book and therefor carry all of my contacts on it.

Edited by joshr

one of the biggest things that makes the ipod better is the zunes DRM. I found that the zune outraged me from a technical standpoint but then I had a hard time explaining why to those that are not that technical. From a less technical standpoint the zune software sucks and the click "wheel" just looks like a wheel and is instead 4 buttons. It's also quite a bit bigger. Plus many of the features that dazzle people suck when you look into it more closely. For example you can beam people songs, cool right, but it turns out that this only works for 3 days or 3 plays.... not so cool. It has wifi, cool, but you can only use it for beaming to other zunes.... not so cool.

I think he was talking about the Zen players. I don't really know much about them so I couldn't say.

Hey, I haven't had a Zen since the Zen:Touch, which is a few years back. It was a solid player, and I brought it everywhere with me. Rock climbing, sailing, hiking, camping back packing, it was always there with me. The battery life was really impressive, and i still have it and it works great. The downside of course is that it doesn't work with the mac. There is some crazy 3rd party junk, but nothing like as intuitive as iTunes.

I hear good things about the Creative:Vison players, from my M$ friends, but as far I'm concerned, I will not buy a non-iPod player unless they make the effort to support OSX.

Edited by s03bf0c0

For the people on this forum I think the thing about the iPod is the integration with the Mac and/or iTunes. What I also love about the iPod is the simplicity of it. As with OS X and the Macs it "just works". If it's superior of the iPod I don't know. Would I ever choose it instead of an iPod? No.

EDIT: ohhhh zen, not zun Anyway as far as the zen my only issue is the lack of itunes. Itunes is a much better music manager than anything that anyone else has. I also like that the ipod will sync with my address book and therefor carry all of my contacts on it.

A friend of mine purchased a Zen, and I tried to help her sort out how to get mucis onto it, and to download podcasts. I'm not a total dummy, but I had real trouble figuring it all out. Itunes is just soooo easy by comparison.

Lucky us!

Bebe

it's not as much the player that matters, it is iTunes that matters!

iTunes allows easy organisation of your media; not only music and video but one that most people overlook, podcasts! It is very difficult to tell a newbie how to download a podcast. Already hard enough to get people to use iTunes to get podcasts, imagine if you have to use some other program. First downloading the program to access podcasts, then search, then subscribe, then download to your player...

iTunes just lets you do everything within the program, then transfer it easily to your iPod (almost) seamlessly! Of course, iTunes only works seamlessly with iPod.

I love my iPod BTW, the scroll wheel is superior to anything out there in terms of searching large files, and I'll reserve judgement on the new iPhone interface (the flick scroll or whatever) until I see it. Sure Zen has OLEDs, FM radio (don't use it much, I have the iPod controller that provides FM), recording options etc, but you have to remember to calculate the whole experience of using your MP3 player.

Much like buying a Mac Vs PC, people look at the specs, but forget about having to deal with the mountain of pain that comes with Windows (viruses, malware, etc etc etc)