KWagner

How long to encode a DVD?

A couple of questions for those who have burned video DVD's:

What hardware/software combination did you use?

How long did the encoding take?

I've used iDVD on an old G4 eMac, and it took roughly 9 hours to encode a two hour movie. Recently I tried Toast 8 – using it to encode/burn two hours of video recorded from a TiVo, and it took roughly 6 hours to encode on the eMac. I also used Toast 8 with an Intel Mac Mini, which also took roughly 6 hours to encode.

I'm planning to upgrade to a 2.66 GHz Mac Pro for Aperture/Photoshop work, and hoping that video encoding speed improves as well.

Comments/opinions welcome….

K. Wagner

A couple of questions for those who have burned video DVD's:

What hardware/software combination did you use?

How long did the encoding take?

I've used iDVD on an old G4 eMac, and it took roughly 9 hours to encode a two hour movie. Recently I tried Toast 8 – using it to encode/burn two hours of video recorded from a TiVo, and it took roughly 6 hours to encode on the eMac. I also used Toast 8 with an Intel Mac Mini, which also took roughly 6 hours to encode.

I'm planning to upgrade to a 2.66 GHz Mac Pro for Aperture/Photoshop work, and hoping that video encoding speed improves as well.

Comments/opinions welcome….

K. Wagner

I have a 1Ghz G4 PowerBook with 1Gig of Ram. I haven't tried one recently, but the last time I did encode a movie from iMove I remember it taking several hours. This was the older version of iMovie and iDVD which didn't have the high quality content that I'm sure will take longer to encode. The two things that are going to mean the most when you are encoding is going to be processor and ram. I haven't tried toast 8 yet.

I think a 2.66 Mac Pro will probably do it substantially faster. Just having 4 processors running at or about twice the speed of that eMac is going to make a huge difference alone.

E

My friend recently brought over 15 minutes of MiniDV footage (not a lot, I know). We edited it in iMovie, and burned it with iDVD.

The iDVD encode process took about 30 minutes, but it seemed (IIRC) that most of that time was spent doing the animated menus, of which we had a few! The audio processing especially seems to take awhile to do. We originally had a 6 minute song looping on one of the menus, we chopped that down to a 30 second loop because the encode was taking forever.

This is on a 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo iMac with 2 gigs of RAM.

Jay P.

i have burned lost of movies and the encoding in idvd takes a long time. i have sometimes just let it over night for the burn.

I hope Apple optimizes the iLife suite for their hardware. The applications are fantastic, but iMovie importing is hell slow, iTunes eats RAM for lunch, etc...