Jay Parlar

Keychain Access crashes on Intel Mac

Very weird problem here. I've got a new 20" iMac (well, I've had it for a little bit), and for the first time today I decided to run "Keychain Access". I use that program a lot on my old Powerbook (running Panther) to store my passwords, so I wanted to see how the program looks under Tiger.

Well, everytime I start it, I see the application window appear, and then it crashes one second later. Without fail. This is scary, obviously, because Keychain Access is pretty important.

I did however find a workaround. If I open up the Info dialog for the Keychain Access app, and tell it to run the program using Rosetta, then everything works, fine and dandy like sour candy!

I've run Repair Permissions on the disk. I've run the Keychain First Aid (using Rosetta). Still, the Keychain Access app crashes if I try to run it normally.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? Any ideas?

Oh, and the crash report is very unhelpful. It of course has gobs of stuff in it, but the key lines (in this programmer's opinion) are:

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)

Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0xb1e06f60

That's some bad mojo right there!

Thanks,

Jay P.

Oh, and one more piece of info.

In the second before it crashes, I can see all three of the Keychains are there (login, System and X509Anchors), but none of the items in the login keychain are showing up in the main part of the window.

This leads me to believe that it's crashing while reading my login keychain. But it's strange that it would crash when running x86 code, and not PPC code, unless they screwed up some endianness issues. I'd imagine though that would have been caught a long time ago, were it the case.

Jay P.