hurleyint1386

Apple remote pairing/unpairing

So I recently got a MacBook Pro, and it came with an Apple remote. I also have an iPod Dock with Infrared on the front. When I try changing the songs on my MBP, it only connects to the iPod Dock. I'm paired with my MBP though. How can I disable the iPod dock from, in a sense, stealing my connection? If anyone has any tips, that would be awesome. Thanks a lot.

Far as I recall the pair will stop your MBP from accepting input from unpaired remotes, but not vice versa. There is a similar method to pair a remote with the dock, and if you have a second remote you could pair the dock, and it will nolonger react to your MBP remote. Other then that I'm not sure if its possible.

Far as I recall the pair will stop your MBP from accepting input from unpaired remotes, but not vice versa. There is a similar method to pair a remote with the dock, and if you have a second remote you could pair the dock, and it will nolonger react to your MBP remote. Other then that I'm not sure if its possible.

Unfortunately I only have one remote. I suppose I could get rid of my dock and only use the cable, but I bought the dock separately because I liked being able to use it. I know that pairing it with one device doesn't prevent it from being paired with another device, however I wish I knew a way to do that.

Yeah, it is a bit silly. I have a macbook, a dock and a mac mini. It would be great if there was an easy way to just shut off the IR. Fortunately my dock is beside the mini, but I have 2 remotes, 1 from each mac. Maybe you could get some black electrical tape, and cover the black IR receiver with a perfectly round bit of tape.

One of apple's less elegant solutions i suppose.

Yeah, it is a bit silly. I have a macbook, a dock and a mac mini. It would be great if there was an easy way to just shut off the IR. Fortunately my dock is beside the mini, but I have 2 remotes, 1 from each mac. Maybe you could get some black electrical tape, and cover the black IR receiver with a perfectly round bit of tape.

One of apple's less elegant solutions i suppose.

I suppose that's my only choice. :-(