starling

BATTLE: iBook SE vs. Mac Mini

I think I am a hopeless romantic. My old graphite iBook SE still calls my name, and it's saying, pelase use me as your media center. However, it is old. Should I bother upgrading its hard drive and RAM so I can use it as a media center? It still has its nifty video out port, and its DVD player works just fine. However, it's glacially slow, even with a memory upgrade, I know it.

So what do you guys think? Should I try to sell on eBay the iBook, collect a couple hundred bucks and invest in a mini? In terms of space, performance, Front Row capability and just plain storage space, it may win out. Please advise!

A Mac Fan. :P211813525_3c9672e000_m.jpg

While the iBook is a classic, and would make a nice piece of Retro-tech furniture in the living room, I would go with the mini. I use a mac mini with the eyeTV tuner as a home entertainment/home server and it is the business! In particular the integration between FrontRow and eyeTV's latest software version is really nice.

Thanks for the swift response. Space is also an issue here...My entertainment center could probably best accomodate a mini but not the clunky clamshell iBook. Thanks for also turning me onto the eyeTV tuner. Sounds brilliant!

BTW, i lived in Ireland in 1996 for about a year. Great people! Good craic ;)

While the iBook is a classic, and would make a nice piece of Retro-tech furniture in the living room, I would go with the mini. I use a mac mini with the eyeTV tuner as a home entertainment/home server and it is the business! In particular the integration between FrontRow and eyeTV's latest software version is really nice.

glad to be of assistance, also if you are looking a doing a lot a video stuff, like *legally* backing up DVDs or using the Mini as a Digital Video Recorder, the stackable external drives for the mini are much less obtrusive then anything that you could attach to the clamshell.

Yeah, backups are key for me. I will check out those stackable drives...You rock.

glad to be of assistance, also if you are looking a doing a lot a video stuff, like *legally* backing up DVDs or using the Mini as a Digital Video Recorder, the stackable external drives for the mini are much less obtrusive then anything that you could attach to the clamshell.

Yeah, backups are key for me. I will check out those stackable drives...You rock.

I agree, go with the mini, i think it will serve your needs best and those Lacie external drives that look like mini's are bang on!

Cheers