Bandito

SLEEP via keyboard ?

One thing that I've always found annoying about my Mac is that whenever I press the power button I'm presented with the options to either Restart, Sleep, Cancel or Shut Down (with Shut Down being selected by default). Sure I can simply hit ENTER and just shut the laptop down, but what if I quickly wanted to put my Macbook Pro to sleep?

shutdown.jpg

The same can be said within iTunes for example when I want to delete a file? Ok, its nice that "Keep File" is the default to save an accidental delete. But what I reallly do want to send the file to the trash?

Why can't I simply tap the arrow keys or even tab key to change the button focus before hitting return?

Instead I have to either take my hands off the keyboard to grab the mouse or navigate with the touchpad.

Or IS this configurable and I'm just missing the obvious? Thanks!!!!

Hmm... look first, then ask. Wise words. I should follow them more often. Seems I found it after all. I played around with the buttons a bit and it seems that the following works.

**NOTE: if you know this already, then its not news to you... but if you didn't. I'll share what I found.

Seems like the first letter of the Button you want will invoke it. (see table below.)

keyboard_table.jpg

The same thing seems to hold true when deleting a file in iTunes for example. Pressing 'M' will move the file to the trash.

One small step for me!!

I feel much better now.

Edited by Bandito

Good discovery!

There's another quick way to put to sleep from anywhere, without even getting the dialogue box: simply hold down Command-Option-Eject and your MacBook should drift off to sleep (hopefully).

Good discovery!

There's another quick way to put to sleep from anywhere, without even getting the dialogue box: simply hold down Command-Option-Eject and your MacBook should drift off to sleep (hopefully).

Yes, cmd-opt-eject did put it to sleep. Thanks for that one too.

My complaint was really more about the inability to traverse dialogue buttons than being able to put my MBP to sleep though.

I know that in Windows (yeah I know... and I'm sorry for mentioning it) if a dialogue box with buttons comes up I can toggle between them easiy. While typing in the first letter of the button is a quick 'shortcut', it doesn't really answer the initial question.

Oh well.

Oh, all great tips. I've been frustrated with the not being able to just use the fucking arrow to move left or right. Thanks bandito.

not sure if you can use arrows, but there is a way to use tab. go to system preferences>keyboard and mouse>keyboard shortcuts. then at the bottom select All Controls instead of Text boxes and lists only. then you can tab through those windows' buttons.

There is some setting somewhere that makes the power button put it so sleep directly. I know I have used this for 2 separate iMac G3's and it seems to be default on an iMac G5, and is shown in System Profiler, but I cannot find the option for it in System Preferences, at least with only a quick Spotlight search, it might be there somewhere (I don't think it's in energy saver, but it might be, poke around where it makes sense).

Edited by eternalnewb