Mopar_Dan

Is there a serious problem with apple power bricks?

Hi,

Since I have been looking at replacing all my pc's except one next year; I have been looking alot at both desktop and notebooks.

The Imacs seem to be overall sturdy, pretty much what I would expect. The Macbooks themselves have gotten to the point where

all of the ealier kinks have been worked out. The only thing that worries me to a decent degree are the reports of the magsafe "powerbricks"

shorting out causing sparks, smoke, etc. I saw the report for the first time on appledefects.com. Then saw it again and again. After looking

on apples website, the reviews on the store dont seem conforting. Is this really as big of an deal as it seems or can it be realated to a bad batch?

Seems like alot of people are asking for a recall. Im just concerned about it possible setting my couch on fire since thats where my brick normally

sits right now. Thanks for any input. Keep it up Maccast!

Dan

Just for reference:

Apple store 1

Apple store 2

Apple store 3

Appledefects 1

Appledefects 2

Appledefects 3

Appledefects 4

Appledefects 5

Appledefects 6

Appledefects 7

Appledefects 8

Appledefects 9

Appledefects 10

Edited by Mopar_Dan

i havent had any problems. i think the problems mainly come when you wind up the wire too tight and it stresses the inner wire insulaters, eventually causing a short circuit. i think maybe they could make the power bricks a little sturdier or use thicker guage insulator or something, but i think if you're careful you should be fine.

I've had my PowerBook G4 for going on 2 years now without any issues. I've also had my MacBook Pro for about 3 months and the same thing no issues at all.

I've had my PowerBook G4 for going on 2 years now without any issues. I've also had my MacBook Pro for about 3 months and the same thing no issues at all.

The new adapters have a cheaper build to them, mainly the cable that runs from the adapter to the magsafe connector is thinner than it was with my iBook. I think most people won't have a problem, especially if you don't wind and unwind it alot. But I could see failure at the cable where it goes into the adapter being pretty easy. I was a little dissappointed with Apple's cheapening of the product. I don't think a fire will result, but I could see it stop working sooner than the older machines.

Thanks for the replys guys. My main concern was with the fact that my current notebooks get used on the couch and the bricks are normally under the couch. I was just checking out the possibility of it causing a fire. If it just dies Ide be happy as long as applecare replaces it.

Thanks for the replys guys. My main concern was with the fact that my current notebooks get used on the couch and the bricks are normally under the couch. I was just checking out the possibility of it causing a fire. If it just dies Ide be happy as long as applecare replaces it.

Hmmm.... Its highly unlikely that it would catch fire, but i'm no fire marshal. I think if it was a big enough concern Apple would do a recall to avoid lawsuits like auto companies do.

Cheers

Under the couch I don't think would be a good place for it... if you feel how hot it gets.... I wouldn't be putting it under my couch...

Last time I checked, the wire was not the problem with any Apple laptop adapters. The joint between the wire and the computer's plug was a problem, and sometimes the joint between the power brick and the wire was.

Last time I checked, the wire was not the problem with any Apple laptop adapters. The joint between the wire and the computer's plug was a problem, and sometimes the joint between the power brick and the wire was.

Seems like your right about the joints. The 2 newest stories are right around the joints.

Appledefects1

Appledefects2

Dan

Hi,

Since I have been looking at replacing all my pc's except one next year; I have been looking alot at both desktop and notebooks.

The Imacs seem to be overall sturdy, pretty much what I would expect. The Macbooks themselves have gotten to the point where

all of the ealier kinks have been worked out. The only thing that worries me to a decent degree are the reports of the magsafe "powerbricks"

shorting out causing sparks, smoke, etc. I saw the report for the first time on appledefects.com. Then saw it again and again. After looking

on apples website, the reviews on the store dont seem conforting. Is this really as big of an deal as it seems or can it be realated to a bad batch?

Seems like alot of people are asking for a recall. Im just concerned about it possible setting my couch on fire since thats where my brick normally

sits right now. Thanks for any input. Keep it up Maccast!

Dan

Just for reference:

Apple store 1

Apple store 2

Apple store 3

Appledefects 1

Appledefects 2

Appledefects 3

Appledefects 4

Appledefects 5

Appledefects 6

Appledefects 7

Appledefects 8

Appledefects 9

Appledefects 10

2 weeks ago my sons I-book (not mag safe) shorted out at the power brick and started to smoke and spark when he was using it. That was the first short I have had in that area, but I have had to purchase 5 replacement power adapters over the past 4 years because of shorts at the end that plugs into the computer, or the pin would break loose and the cord would not work. Las week I found on amazon a power adapter from macality its only $38.00 it has been working great for a week.

I have a powerbook with the mag safe and so far (since november) its been working fine

Joe

2 weeks ago my sons I-book (not mag safe) shorted out at the power brick and started to smoke and spark when he was using it. That was the first short I have had in that area, but I have had to purchase 5 replacement power adapters over the past 4 years because of shorts at the end that plugs into the computer, or the pin would break loose and the cord would not work. Las week I found on amazon a power adapter from macality its only $38.00 it has been working great for a week.

I have a powerbook with the mag safe and so far (since november) its been working fine

Joe

5 in 4 years is too many replacements in my opinion. Did apple warrenty ever offer to cover any of the replacements? My Oldest vaio is 6 years old and after even running over the cord with the vaccuum it has not been replaced once. Do you feel like apple should perform some sort of redsign and recall like many of the comments in the apple store suggest?

Dan

I had an ibook G4 (until the logic board fried :angry: ) but I never had a problem with the power adapter.

However, with my MacBook Pro, its a different story. I went through 2 magsafe power adapters in less than 4 months! Luckily, AppleCare sent me a new one, no questions asked. They just asked if it was frayed, and if yes a new one would be to me within a few days. so... I am not tooo dissappointed about the MagSafe. However, the one i have now (my third) seems to be the charm. Its been sturdy for about 6 months now... but i can tell its gonna start to fry again within a month or 2...

Any way.. jsut wanted to put my experience in...

I also agree with the earlier post that the people with these problems are really raising hell... while most are content and therefore really have no reason to speak out for/against them...

+, i wouldnt really rely on the Apple Store Comments on the power adapters because most of those comments are probably written by angry people who were turned down by AppleCare and had to buy a $100 power adapter b/c their warranty didnt cover it. I dont think many people who just bought their new mac laptop worry about going on Apple.com and raving about how they have no problems with the power adapters ... if u know wut I mean :rolleyes:

-Steve-

+, i wouldnt really rely on the Apple Store Comments on the power adapters because most of those comments are probably written by angry people who were turned down by AppleCare and had to buy a $100 power adapter b/c their warranty didnt cover it. I dont think many people who just bought their new mac laptop worry about going on Apple.com and raving about how they have no problems with the power adapters ... if u know wut I mean :rolleyes:

-Steve-

Wouldn't the 1-yr warranty for all macs cover the power adapter failure?

To me the problem is that you are putting down around $2.5k for a piece of equipment that should last you for years. Sometimes I feel like apple is getting a bit cheap with us in some areas. It's not like they are hurting for money or anything. Why not put a bit more effort and money into QA and stop prematurely releasing products that priced really high that are going to break down?

Now don't get me wrong, I love apple with all my heart but I can't convince others to like them if their products are constantly malfunctioning. One of my apartment mates got an iPod a couple of months ago and today it wasn't working when he got up in the morning and was displaying some weird things. It does work now (after plugging it in and charging it), but many of my other friends have had their iPods crap out on them.

Anyways ( sorry for the little rant)... I have a MacBook Pro and it works pretty much flawlessly, and no problems with the power cord yet... but I worry. Apple is supposed to be better than the other companies, and sometimes I worry that they aren't doing their part in the hardware area sometimes.

Wouldn't the 1-yr warranty for all macs cover the power adapter failure?

To me the problem is that you are putting down around $2.5k for a piece of equipment that should last you for years. Sometimes I feel like apple is getting a bit cheap with us in some areas. It's not like they are hurting for money or anything. Why not put a bit more effort and money into QA and stop prematurely releasing products that priced really high that are going to break down?

Now don't get me wrong, I love apple with all my heart but I can't convince others to like them if their products are constantly malfunctioning. One of my apartment mates got an iPod a couple of months ago and today it wasn't working when he got up in the morning and was displaying some weird things. It does work now (after plugging it in and charging it), but many of my other friends have had their iPods crap out on them.

Anyways ( sorry for the little rant)... I have a MacBook Pro and it works pretty much flawlessly, and no problems with the power cord yet... but I worry. Apple is supposed to be better than the other companies, and sometimes I worry that they aren't doing their part in the hardware area sometimes.

I have to agree with what your saying about your friends. Im trying to switch to apple from sony vaios. My vaios have been reliable beyond belief. My oldest was an in store display before I had gotten it. Despite being dropped by many friends, running the cord over with the vaccuum, even loading it with Windows XP the day it was released, it still runs like a champ. Now when I hear about stuff like power bricks either going dead or sparking/smoking, it raises my eyebrow.

As for the store reviews, I agree that satisfied people are less apt to put in thier 2 cents about what they liked about the product. But 3 diffrent bricks, all with bad reviews is not a good indicator of that products build quality. Also if these people are being denied for warrenty, why? I have read before where apple has gone outside the warrenty to replace defective parts. 5 bricks in 4 years does not show an improvement in that build quality either. While thats one persons expierences, that can be one more lost future customer and possible any friends he may have spoken to about his problems as well. Look at what happend to Ford motor company, they got cheap and it showed. Eventually word spread and now they are losing more money year after year.

Appledefects 1

I foud this interesting in the fact that the Apple Store he went to told him that fraying wires on an power adapter are "expected wear and tear"!

Appledefects2

another bit on the replacments, Newer magsafes have upgraded insulation.

Dan

The magsafe that came with my MBP (ordered on the day of release of the C2D models) looks exactly like the 'new' one.

The magsafe that came with my MBP (ordered on the day of release of the C2D models) looks exactly like the 'new' one.

So it looks like they may have had a fix for a while and its just working its way around to those folks who had the earlier models. Hows yours holding up?

It looks fine. To be honest, I don't think there ever really was a problem, its just been people mistreating them. Anything will fray if you abuse it enough. I've had laptops with flimsier power cables than apple has ever released and they've lasted just fine, and I use my laptop every day, it goes everywhere with me pretty much.

Hi Guys,

just tonight as I was sleeping charging my macbook I woke to a smell and traced it to a part of the wire coming out the AC brick, I have on many occasions felt my brick has been very warm or hit to touch burning hot in my opinion, but never an issue always laid on piece of tile on desk, but when I woke to a smell I noticed the cable is scribbled coming out of the brick and was hot, I put a temperature probe on it just off the grommet and the wire coating was 150+ degrees. And I am quite confident this is not related to kinking or anything as the cable doesn't get bent much and there is what I call a decent rubber relief there. I have an appointment with apple genius bar another 2 hours of driving. Am I better off calling apple or visiting a store, are they going to give me an issue you think? I have apple care the computer is going on 2 years old. Ron N9QGS

charger.jpg

Often the applestore "genius's" give you that "expected wear" BS. Just get applecare and if you have an issue with the powerbrick call them. They will send you a new one without a hassle and you ship the old one back. Mine started to separate a little where the small cord connects to the brick and the apple store called it expected wear but applecare shipped me a new one with no problem.

I also had the top case on my macbook pro start to separate a little from the bottom. Not a big deal but, like you said, $2.5k for a computer and I found it unacceptable. First time I had my computer worked on for something I told the geniuses and they called it expected wear. Second time I went to a different store and talked to a different genius. They sent it off for a different problem and it came back with a new top case, new keyboard, and a new mouse. All free.

Bottom line is that the whole expected wear thing is BS and just means you gotta talk to someone else.

Hi Guys,

just tonight as I was sleeping charging my macbook I woke to a smell and traced it to a part of the wire coming out the AC brick, I have on many occasions felt my brick has been very warm or hit to touch burning hot in my opinion, but never an issue always laid on piece of tile on desk, but when I woke to a smell I noticed the cable is scribbled coming out of the brick and was hot, I put a temperature probe on it just off the grommet and the wire coating was 150+ degrees. And I am quite confident this is not related to kinking or anything as the cable doesn't get bent much and there is what I call a decent rubber relief there. I have an appointment with apple genius bar another 2 hours of driving. Am I better off calling apple or visiting a store, are they going to give me an issue you think? I have apple care the computer is going on 2 years old. Ron N9QGS

Just call applecare and tell them that your powerbrick is that hot. I am sure that they will just ship you a new one. If that doesn't work call them back and tell them that the brick is separating and they won't hassle you.

Edited by joshr

Just call applecare and tell them that your powerbrick is that hot. I am sure that they will just ship you a new one. If that doesn't work call them back and tell them that the brick is separating and they won't hassle you.

My PowerBook G4 brick has been flawless, had it since it was new in April 2004 and it still gets used daily. My MacBook Pro's brick has no issues either, although seeing all of this makes me anxious!

roog