BlackSunshine

Core duo to Core 2 duo

I'm not sure if this has been disscussed, i did a search and found nothing relavent. Basically i was wondering if it is possible to swap out a Core duo cpu in an imac for a Core 2 duo cpu.

Cheers

As long as it's not soldered in, it will work. The two are pin compatible.

As long as it's not soldered in, it will work. The two are pin compatible.

As far as i know its not soldered in so thats good news that they are pin compatible. Now actually taking the imac apart is a different story i would not know where to begin.

Cheers

Well, first, there are 3 screws in the bottom, that, when unscrewed, are captured, and will not come all the way out. Assuming it's like a G5. Then, lift off the back of the computer carefully. Do this all on a clean, flat surface away from animals (yes, the cat can mess up a computer), covered with a piece of clothing or a towel. Ground yourself. Plumbing is grounded. If you have baseboard heaters, that's plumbing. Now, look around in the computer. See what is visible without digging. Can you even tell where the processor is? Can you get to it without taking out the cooling assembly?

Yes, it is true that the two are pin compatible. however, I've heard that in mac minis it's possible to swap a core solo to a core duo...but the fans are different. just a precaution...however if I were you I wouldn't try to upgrade the processor. Processor upgrades are a nice idea...but most people that i've talked to don't recommend it. If you were to, find a professional to do it for you, that way you're not liable for any accidental damage.

-Patrick

I'm right near a Genius Bar, and I'll ask them if they could upgrade the processor (and memory, and hard disk space) on my MacBook. I'll see about scheduling an appointment. Not very many days work for me, so I'll see what I can do.

BJ