tomski

Sound problems with Skype, hissing

Hi,

I have a problem with sound while using Skype.

In a conversation with a friend (both on skype) he hears a loud hissing noise. The hissing occurs frequently but not always. I do not hear that sound, only my friend. I can heas some rather quiet hissing, but that seems rather a normal distortion. If I then change the input from the internal mic to the iSight mic the sound gets almost always better and there is no hissing any more. But just after a few seconds the hissing starts again. My friend tells me that this hissing only occurs when talking to me. I also never had such a problem with anyone else. However, I am not sure if that is due to the fact that these conversations are lasting only a few minutes. Skype lets one do a conference call with many parties as well. No the funny thing was once that while having that hissing gong on we added another person to our conversation and the hissing stopped imediatly.

We both are using headphones.

How can I best track down the cause of that problem? Is it a hardware or a software issue? How should I proceed?

Greetings,

tomski

iMac G5 20"; OS X 10.4.8; Skype 2.5.0.63; iSight camera

For starters you can try calling echo123 and record a message which will be played back to you. This will help you determine if the problem is from your side or not.

For starters you can try calling echo123 and record a message which will be played back to you. This will help you determine if the problem is from your side or not.

I did as you suggested. The sound was fine! But I can not conclude from that that the problem is not on my side because my friend says that she only has that problem with me and not with any other of her contacts.

Edited by tomski

Have you tried using the stable version of Skype 2.0.0.6 instead of the Beta 2.5.0.63 that you're using now?

Have you tried using the stable version of Skype 2.0.0.6 instead of the Beta 2.5.0.63 that you're using now?

Yes I did. It did not help unfortunetely.

Solution:

I did a spotlight search for "skype" and deleted ALL items found. I reinstalled and it works now perfectly.

Actually I was a bit enthousiastic. The problem came back after 1 hour. I really do not know what else to do.

Edited by tomski

You have looked on the skype forums, right? A search over there threw up a few people with the same problem as you. Failling that, you could alwaysput a support ticket in with skype directly. You're more likely to get help over there really.

I have filed a bug with Skype. They have aknowledged the problem and are working on it.

Edited by tomski