joshr

Quick, Easy New Ipod Question

Do I need to let the refurbished video ipod I just got charge first or can I start playing with it right away?

I'd let it charge. No reason for saying that other than what I've always done with rechargable batteries though - complete charge and discharge before I put them into general use.

The answer from the apple store was that it will have a partial charge and I can feel free to play with it if I want but I should charge it overnight to get a full charge.

always let it fully charge!!!!!!!!!! TRUST ME!!! i used my iPod mini straight away and got 2hours music out of it! lol pitiful isn't it! then when i got my video ipod i charged it over night and now i get 7hours!

always let it fully charge!!!!!!!!!! TRUST ME!!! i used my iPod mini straight away and got 2hours music out of it! lol pitiful isn't it! then when i got my video ipod i charged it over night and now i get 7hours!

That likely has to do with the different batteries that they had although 2 hours is pretty bad. I used mine a little bit the day I got it but not much and I think it actually may have been plugged in the entire time. I let it charge until it said it was full and I used it for at least 7 hours yesterday. On a different, but related note, does my macbook pro need to be on in order for the USB port to supply power. That seems to be the case and it's a huge pain.

Edited by joshr

Yes it does. I recommend picking up a spearate charger for it. Luckily the one that came with my 4G iPod works with my current iPods.

Mostly common sense, but I was glad to see that the ussuall 1 year warranty as well as apple car, which I have, both cover replacement batteries. Nice to know.

I've always found my iPod battery to way exceed expected battery life. Maybe thats just because the software is reading the battery level wrong or I'm just plain lucky. I found that running it flat and recharging it at least once every 2 months improves general battery life a lot. Also, setting brightness down to about half (its really all you need) saves buckets of power for me.

That being said, you know, the very hour I got my iPod 5.0G, I turned it on and started loading songs onto it, never had an issue with it at all. But to err on the side of caution, yeah, a few hours wait is worth having an iPod with at the very least, a more consistent battery life.

If it's refurbished, they may have or may not have changed the battery. If they did, you gotta charge 24 hours it to get optimal battery life, but who knows? I wouldn't take the chance. I would just charge it.