vintagegeek

Tivo File Transfers to MAC

Finally we have Software to transfer files from Tivo to the Mac...and it converts to mp4 on the fly.

So far so good. I use to have to jump to Windows via Parallels to use Tivo2Go there...not anymore.

VG

TiVoDecode Manager (TDM) is a free Applescript Studio interface (i.e. "wrapper") for the tivodecode program that automates the process of downloading of standalone TiVo Series 2 files to your computer and decoding into MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 files. It is not for Series 1 (ever), Series 3, or DirecTiVos (unhacked or hacked). Features include:

* Bonjour discovery of local TiVos (or enter an IP manually)

* Listing of show, episode, date recorded, and other information

* One-click download and decoding of TiVo shows

* Batch processing queue for multiple downloads

* On-the-fly transcoding of video to Quicktime/iPod-compatible MPEG-4 movie (PPC & Intel)

* Custom MPEG-4 compression options

* Auto-import MPEG-4 files into iTunes' TV Show Library

* Growl notifications

* Indicator for completed downloads

* Version checking option

* Insertion of show detail in Spotlight comments

* Episode detail (length, quality, channel, actors/actresses)

Here is the link to the site:

TivoDecode Manager

I have found it to be VERY resource intensive and slow. I have also not had much luck pulling over videos. They are almost always not playable.

The Tivo transfer works, but the result isn’t optimal. As stated, it transfers in real time (2hr show takes almost 2hrs - wired or wireless connection makes no difference). The view quality on the Mac isn’t all that great, even when the show was recoded on the Tivo in best quality.

Encoding/burning a 2 hour DVD with Toast takes roughly 5hours (both on an old G4 and InteliMac machine). For anyone wanting to make DVD’s of shows they record, a better alternative would be a DVR with a built in DVD burner.

If quality is a concern, I’d recommend using the Tivo as a simple video source connected to some third party digitizing hardware (EyeTV, Canopus ADVC units, etc.) These units allow for real time video capture into iMove then burn the DVD with iDVD. If starting with a good quality source (Tivo set at high quality recording, VHS tape, etc.) the final result is much better than using Tivo transfer and Toast, and encoding in iDVD is faster as well. The downside is the hardware cost ($150 and up), as well as needing lots of hard drive space for the interim files. (I use a Canopus ADVC300, and an hour of video in iMovie takes up roughly 20 gigs.)

In general, I’d consider the Toast 8/Tivo Transfer bundle to be a good for a ‘first release’ piece of software. The pro’s are that is does work as advertised, the con’s are Tivo transfer speed (??possible hardware limitation on the Tivo unit itself??), the DVD encode time (Roxio – what is the optimum hardware configuration to minimize encode time??), and the quality.

With regard to quality, I have not tried any of the ‘advanced’ settings in Toast to see if the quality can be enhanced (may require recording something less than two hours of content per DVD).

Regards,

K. Wagner

Edited by KWagner

Using "Toast" to Burn DVDs. I'm using Toast 7 to burn the DVDs. Although it works well, it does take forever to burn a DVD. I have an Intel Core Duo 2 GHZ and the processors are at 90+ percent each the whole time. My experience is it can be anywhere from 3 hours to 5 hours to burn depending on the length of the movie. (Still beats the days of the overnight burns) Yesterday I burned 5 - 30 minute shows to a single DVD using Toast...started an hour before the Superbowl, left to go watch it at a friends and came back and it was just finishing. All in all though I still find TivoDecode Manager and Toast the most seemless combination so far. VG

What about us Mac users with hacked DirecTV Tivos? I still have to use my PC to extract video from my Tivo. It's a multistep process. There's got to be a Mac solution. Anyone have suggestions?

What about us Mac users with hacked DirecTV Tivos? I still have to use my PC to extract video from my Tivo. It's a multistep process. There's got to be a Mac solution. Anyone have suggestions?

i wish for this too

Hi...don't know about DirectTV-Tivo but please read my 1st post in this thread as I use TivoDecode Manager with my Series2Tivo. A freeware program for MAC OSX that finds your Tivo, lets you select the files to transfer and encodes them...in my case to mp4s on the fly. A Best quality 30 minute show takes 1 hour to transfer and decode to mp4 format. My Tivo is using a USB-B wireless. If yours is ethernet connected it would probably go faster. Good Luck. VG

Edited by vintagegeek

www.tivotool.com

Check out the cool add-to-itunes button. Works for hacked Series 2 Tivo's, including Direct-tivo. Been using it for about 2 years.

I was using TDM too. It's OK for me because I just let the shows transfer over night. But I wanted to get a list of shows every night.

So I wrote a program for Mac OS X, to automatically transfer a list of shows from TiVo to iTunes. I use it with my AppleTV and iPod. When a show in the list gets recorded by the TiVo then the application will transfer it automatically. I took much of the coding from TDM.

The application name is SeasonPassGetter (aka SPG).

Here's the site:

http://web.mac.com/bgrupczy/iWeb/SeasonPassGetter

tivotool does this too but you have to have a hacked Tivo running vserver. I didn't want to hack my Tivo. So my application doesn't need a hacked Tivo.

I was using TDM too. It's OK for me because I just let the shows transfer over night. But I wanted to get a list of shows every night.

So I wrote a program for Mac OS X, to automatically transfer a list of shows from TiVo to iTunes. I use it with my AppleTV and iPod. When a show in the list gets recorded by the TiVo then the application will transfer it automatically. I took much of the coding from TDM.

The application name is SeasonPassGetter (aka SPG).

Here's the site:

http://web.mac.com/bgrupczy/iWeb/SeasonPassGetter

tivotool does this too but you have to have a hacked Tivo running vserver. I didn't want to hack my Tivo. So my application doesn't need a hacked Tivo.

Season Pass Getter huh. I like that name. I will give it a try. VG

Season Pass Getter huh. I like that name. I will give it a try. VG

Great! Thanks. I know that it's been downloaded quite a few times but I haven't gotten any feedback. Is that good or bad!? ha/ha

I downloaded it, but I was unable to configure it to work. COuldn't specify my Tivo in the Tivo Name field.

I downloaded it, but I was unable to configure it to work. COuldn't specify my Tivo in the Tivo Name field.

I could get the name no problem. I picked it up at the Tivo site along with the MAK. But I don't know what the Start and Stop Times refer to in preferences....any idea?

I could get the name no problem. I picked it up at the Tivo site along with the MAK. But I don't know what the Start and Stop Times refer to in preferences....any idea?

The start and stop times are the times (in military time format) that SPG will look for new shows. I wanted to make it stop transfering hows during the day to limit the network traffic. I'll probably change the preferences dialog to have pull down menus fo the times. Right now, you have to type in the time. Hours and minuts are in a separate field because that was the easiest implementation at the time.

If you set the Check Time Flag to "No" then it won't even check the time and always transfer new shows.

It should find the TiVo on the network. What version of OS X do you have? I've only tested it with 10.4.9.

And the version I have posted is 0.5. Do you somehow have a previous version of SPG?

The start and stop times are the times (in military time format) that SPG will look for new shows. I wanted to make it stop transfering hows during the day to limit the network traffic. I'll probably change the preferences dialog to have pull down menus fo the times. Right now, you have to type in the time. Hours and minuts are in a separate field because that was the easiest implementation at the time.

If you set the Check Time Flag to "No" then it won't even check the time and always transfer new shows.

OK..Thanks...VG