ChrisKil

Transfer Apple Care

So, I sold my computer on Ebay. It still had a year or two left on the 3 yr applecare. I have looked on apple's site for the answer, but still am confused. I can't find any way to talk to them either. Does anyone know what I (or the new buyer) needs to do to get the warranty transferred.

I couldnt find anything other than this either;

Q: Is the AppleCare Protection Plan transferable?

A: Yes, the AppleCare Protection Plan is transferable. When you give your iPod or Mac to your friends or family, you can also transfer the ownership of the AppleCare Protection Plan. Please see the AppleCare Protection Plan Terms & Conditions for complete details.

When I sold the computer I sent the buyer a description of what info to send apple to transfer the applecare. She contacted me and said she wasn't sure if she or I had to initiate the transfer. Does anyone know? I gave her all the boxes, numbers, cds, etc. I assume she has everything needed, but I don’t want to screw her over either.

Try just calling an applestore and talking to someone there.

i'm not positive, but i thought the applecare was "connected" to or related to the serial number of the product, not the person who bought it, so assuming the product has applecare, anyone can bring it in for service because they just check the serial number. ( i think)

i'm not positive, but i thought the applecare was "connected" to or related to the serial number of the product, not the person who bought it, so assuming the product has applecare, anyone can bring it in for service because they just check the serial number. ( i think)

That has been my experience. Anytime I have made inquries based on my AppleCare purchase, all I have had to do was provide my computer's serial number.

- Tim

This is correct. Although AppleCare is registered to a certain person, address, contact number etc. it's all determined on the serial number of the machine for off-site work. If you have sold a Mac covered for on-site repair under AppleCare then the repair can only be carried out on-site at the address the serial/AppleCare number is registered to.

Your best bet is to call Apple directly if you want to make sure the APP is carried over to the new owner correctly. I have never had to do it myself, so I can't say who should initiate it but I would imagine it would need to be you giving them the new owners details as it's your details they have on record.

As I said, if it's only ever going to be taken into an Apple Store/AASP for repair then it's a null point anyway (unless of course they need to call AppleCare at any point [to use the technical support line for example], in which case they would need to give the name and address registered via AppleCare to that serial number.