Slyder

New to Skype and need help

Ok so i always heard people talking about Skype but never really checked out and finally found out what it actually is....

So i downloaded it and i did the test call to see if it recognizes your phone and it doesn't.... it will repeat what i said using the Computer Voice thingy. I have cable modem and a Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo... Do i need to get another Mic rather then using the built in one or what. need help, wanna use this!

No, your internal mic is all you need, but make sure it works. Open something like GarageBand and test a recording, see if you get anything. The mic is on the left speaker on your laptop. Also check Prefs - Audio - Audio Input. That it's set to "Built-in..."

I don't really understand what you mean with "see if it recognizes your phone". I can't find that feature. Where did you find it?

No, your internal mic is all you need, but make sure it works. Open something like GarageBand and test a recording, see if you get anything. The mic is on the left speaker on your laptop. Also check Prefs - Audio - Audio Input. That it's set to "Built-in..."

I don't really understand what you mean with "see if it recognizes your phone". I can't find that feature. Where did you find it?

sorry i meant to say Voice.

ok, so i bought the Skype Mac Starter Kit which is basically a USB microphone and ear plugs... still when i call the Test thing on skype and talk it doesn't play my voice back but a muffed up voice kinda sounding like the computer voice... what am i doing wrong here! Someone please help!

Go to System Preferences > Sound > Input and check that your input volume is turned up for your Internal Microphone or USB Mic (whichever you're using). You can speak into your Mic and see if the Input level is detecting any sound (the little bars should turn blue). Next go to Skype > Preferences > Audio and make sure you have the right Mic selected in the Audio Input.

I'm not sure what's causing your problem, but you could try uninstalling and reinstalling Skype. What version are you using by the way? Is it the latest & stable 2.5.0.85?

Have you tried calling someone other than the Voice Test?

Otherwise, you might want to search the Skype Mac OS X forums to see if anyone else has the same problem:

http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showforum=15

Sorry I can't be more helpful.