seaners

Clean Install?

Hey folks,

I am on 10.4, however there is so much crap on my HD, that I want to wipe my disk and start with a fresh Tiger and then just take my files that I need off an external HD

any ideas?

Also, can't find my Tiger disk at the moment, is there anyway to wipe a disk and preserve the OS?

I'm sure it will turn up soon though

Thanks in advance

Unfortunately there's no way that I know of to wipe the disk and preserve the OS. You really need to use the Tiger Install DVD 1. However you can reinstall your OS, and preserve your user's home folder (archive and install). Boot your machine with that disc in the drive and hold down the C key to boot from the disk. Then follow these instructions from Apple:

1. Follow the onscreen instructions. In the panel where you select the destination disk, select your current Mac OS X disk (in most cases, it will be the only one available).
  2. Click Options. If you want to save your existing files, users, and network settings, select "Archive and Install," then select "Preserve Users and Network Settings." If you want to erase everything on your computer and reinstall Mac OS X, select "Erase and Install." You can't recover erased data.

thanks, thats very helpful

i guess i'll just need to find my tiger disk

Unfortunately there's no way that I know of to wipe the disk and preserve the OS. You really need to use the Tiger Install DVD 1. However you can reinstall your OS, and preserve your user's home folder (archive and install). Boot your machine with that disc in the drive and hold down the C key to boot from the disk. Then follow these instructions from Apple:
  1. Follow the onscreen instructions. In the panel where you select the destination disk, select your current Mac OS X disk (in most cases, it will be the only one available).
  2. Click Options. If you want to save your existing files, users, and network settings, select "Archive and Install," then select "Preserve Users and Network Settings." If you want to erase everything on your computer and reinstall Mac OS X, select "Erase and Install." You can't recover erased data.

It should be said though that you'll want make sure you have enough disc space to do a full archive & install.

Edited by KD

KD: doesn't the installer check the free space when you select that option? I've only done an archive & install once, and can't remember if it checked this or not.

IT tells you if you don't have enough before it will even try to start.

Thanks for confirming that.

IT tells you if you don't have enough before it will even try to start.

I know it's supposed to, and when I went to do it a couple weeks ago, it told me I had enough space. But then after it was half done it told me I had run out of space :huh: I really did have enough space though so I have no clue why that happened. That was what caused me to have to do an erase and install because at that point there was nothing else I could do to fix my problem.