Sign in to follow this  
jhogarty

Missing Raindrop Effect

Hi,

I've noticed recently on my iMac and Dual G5 that the "Raindrop Effect" no longer occurs when I go to my Dashboard. Was this affected in one of the recent patches?

I'm a fairly recent convert and still learning. Have lots of questions, but will save for another time.

J.

ps. Love the MacCast. Was the first podcast I subscribed to via iTunes and is still my favorite of all the ones I listen to.

Wait, it used to do the drop effect, but now it doesn't?

I know that a lot of current Macs do not have the effect because the video card does not support it (such as my iBook), but that's odd if it used to do the effect, but now it doesn't...

Yup, I know for sure both used to do it. I have the 2.0Ghz 20" iMac that came out the week after Tiger and a dual 2.5 PowerMac.

J.

Wow, that is odd. I'm not sure, but maybe is there a way to turn off the effect, that was accidentally done? You might want to try deleting all the prefs files... I think the one you want it ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Dock.plist, since the Dock and Dashboard both are the same program. Otherwise, I'm stumped...

Try repairing your disk permissions, as well. To do this go to Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility.

Or harness the power of spotlight, and type Disk utility in it lol.

Repair permissions, as well as what red5230 said, and restart. Also you have ur mac up to date? If you dont, click on the Apple Menu and choose Software Update..

Keep us update it on ur problem, truly weird stuff.

Mine still works. It only does it when you add a new widget to the dashboard desktop. I just noticed too that if you hold control-option you can clise individual widgets without entering the plus sign mode.

I did the repair permissions and deleted that plist file. Actually had some things needing repair as far as permissions go.

Still not seeing the effect. I will add a Widget this evening and see what happens.

Thanks,

J.

Of course, I forgot to mention just in case, the ripple effect only appears when you drop a widget from the drawer to the dashboard area or you click on one in the drawer. Activating the dashboard or using widgets that are already in the dashboard won't get you the ripple effect.

Well I'm feeling stupid now. I checked my Mac(s) at lunch and opened widgets that were not currently displayed. BANG, ripple/raindrop effect. I could swear it used to do that when launching Dashboard.

Anyways, apologies. And thanks for all those who offered assistance to this Mac newb.

J.