houltmac

MacBook HD Replacement

Adam

Just thought I'd offer the solution to the MacBook HD replacement issue you mentioned on the show.

When you pull the drive out of the slot you will need to use a torx screw driver to remove the 4 pegs from the existing drive and use them for the replacement drive to line it up and keep it in place. After you have taken these out of the old drive you will notice that the EMI shield (thin metal sheath) will fall off, with the tab attached.

Put this on the new drive (just fits under the drive) and hold it on using the same pegs that will hold the drive in the slot.

There is nothing special about the drives shipped by Apple, they simply have the EMI shield and 4 pegs attached. Care should be taken when removing the EMI of course, simply don't touch the board on the underside of either drive as this will likely kill the drive instantly. Use anti-static precautions whenever possible.

The guy who has his drive stuck will now have to take his MacBook to one of the usual places to have the top case removed in order to allow removal of the drive. Getting a new EMI shield and pegs will be a little tougher, but AASPs may be able to help. This obviously isn't covered by warranty and will be charged but should only take 10-30 minutes depending on the speed of the technician.

The Geek Stuff: For those who actually care, it's a T8 Torx head on the pins believe it or not.

I remember when I upgraded my MacBook hard drive, I looked high and low for the T8 Torx driver. I think I found one either at Sears or Home Depot.

i found a nice kit of various size torx drivers at home depot, works nicely with all my little gadgets. (i also got the philips set. hey, sometimes you just need a small screwdriver)

A set of small torx (16-6 or similar) and a set of small assorted screwdrivers (including at least two different Philips #0's) is all you need for most gadgets, so it's a worthwhile investment and quite available. I suggest Maplin in the UK.

Other World Computing has a nice batch of instructional videos located at:

http://eshop.macsales.com/tech_center/inde.../directory.html

Down near the bottom of the list is one covering replacement of the Macbook HD and memory. It shows the exchange of the EMI shield mentioned by Houltmac. I find these kinds of videos very useful because it's easier for me to learn something when I see it done.

http://www.ifixit.com/cart/catalog/ is a source of repair how-to pictorials.

Although I've been a Maccast listener for some time, this is my first look at the forum and posting. Hope it's useful. If anyone knows of video showing an iMac being disassembled, I'd be interested to hear about it.

George