Mopar_Dan

Airport Express and Windows??

Hey Guys,

Currently I have all PC's and am planning to switch to macs next year. Well my current Motorola router died yesterday and with that I took a trip to the local Apple store. I wanted to inquire about the new airport extreme for use with my current PC's until I start getting my macs next year. The salesman told me that it would work but that I would not be able to setup any of security settings or anyof the settings unless I had a mac. Any idea is this is true? I would like to start the switch with my current router being dead. But if its not going to be encryptable with my machines Ill probebly go with an cheaper option till next year. Thanks for any help!

Dan

i'm not sure about specifics. the apple store guy might know better than me, but on apple's website, it says the airport express comes with a setup and admin cd for mac and windows, and it also says you can use a windows computer. so it seems like you could do the same on windows since it comes with the setup cd, but like i said, i havent tried it so i'm not positive about what all it can do.

*edit, i see you mention express and extreme, i checked the tech specs of both, and they both seem to work with windows.

Edited by joe28753

I know for certain that airport expresses works with windows since I've used the old airport admin utility in windows, and my new airport express said that you can set it up using a windows machine.

Edited by Graham

i'm not sure about specifics. the apple store guy might know better than me, but on apple's website, it says the airport express comes with a setup and admin cd for mac and windows, and it also says you can use a windows computer. so it seems like you could do the same on windows since it comes with the setup cd, but like i said, i havent tried it so i'm not positive about what all it can do.

*edit, i see you mention express and extreme, i checked the tech specs of both, and they both seem to work with windows.

Yah, sorry I only ment the new extreme. As far as what Apples site says and the saleman, Im just a little confused. If it is configurable Ide be happy to go ahead and get one. If it isnt I guess Ill go find a cheapy till next year. Thanks for your input. I really appreciet it! Anybody have the new extreme and a PC that might be willing to see?

Dan

I just started the installer on Parallels. It worked. Didn't bother going all the way through though. You'll need a compatible 802.11n card though. It is only a draft spec, so I doubt that all the cards are working with each other yet.

I just started the installer on Parallels. It worked. Didn't bother going all the way through though. You'll need a compatible 802.11n card though. It is only a draft spec, so I doubt that all the cards are working with each other yet.

Hey,

Thanks for your help man. I dont know how but I missed your first post. I did a "live chat" with an Apple.com person and got all the answers to my questions. I went ahead and ordered one last night. Now I've just got to wait! Thanks again everyone!

Dan

For the sake of reference; the Airport devices all use open standards that are completely cross platform. The only difference between them and standard routers in terms of technology (apart from AirTunes) is that you have to use Apples utilities for configuration instead of a web browser, but as stated above they are available for Mac and Windows.

Cross platform at it's finest.

For the sake of reference; the Airport devices all use open standards that are completely cross platform. The only difference between them and standard routers in terms of technology (apart from AirTunes) is that you have to use Apples utilities for configuration instead of a web browser, but as stated above they are available for Mac and Windows.

Cross platform at it's finest.

What you just said is pretty much the same thing that the chat person from Apples website said as well. Either way, as soon as he told me it was compatable I was sold. Getting the airport express will hopefully help feed my need to replace my PCs till we get finished moving later this year. :D