Sign in to follow this  
macosx.4

diskutil resizeVolume

After recently receiving my (fairly) new Mac Mini, I decided to put Linux on part of my hard drive. I learned about diskutil and its verb resizeVolume. I resized my mac hard drive with no problems. However, I am now having an issue because I want to change the size of those partitions. I attempted to resize them but it didn't work. I didn't have anything on them so I reformatted them back to JHFS+ (journaled HFS+) and tried to resize them. Still didn't work. So I am wondering: is it possible to make those partitions become free space? I know about utilities that you can use, but I don't want to spend the money.

Thanks.

When it comes to resizing or otherwise messing with partitions there is only one answer: backup and start over.

Use something like SuperDuper! to get all the data off in a bootable state, boot to that backup, re-partition your drive from scratch in Disk Utility (this will erase all data) and then "backup" back to the drive (restore). It's the only safe way and if anyone else tells you it's not then they haven't done it enough.

Cool. I got it to work.

Although something kind of weird happened this morning. I started it up and no system could be found. :huh: So, I redid the process except that I made 5GB for a stripped down version of OS X (essential software only.) It works now.