zionlion

Remote Speaker without Airport Express

Your genius required, I would like to use remote speakers over a network with 2xMacs, but I don’t have nor want to purchase a Airport Express to this, I have spent some time looking for an app that allows this but cant find one. Any suggestions?

Many Thanks

There isn't software because you need a hardware solution. What will you plug the speakers into? There are other hardware solutions for wirelessly streaming media but I found the airport express to be the cheapest and obviously it integrates the best. If you can call apple stores around you and see if they are selling an open box express. It will cost you about $100 that way and comes with all of the same warranties.

There isn't software because you need a hardware solution. What will you plug the speakers into? There are other hardware solutions for wirelessly streaming media but I found the airport express to be the cheapest and obviously it integrates the best. If you can call apple stores around you and see if they are selling an open box express. It will cost you about $100 that way and comes with all of the same warranties.

Hi,

I will be sat at my iMac with itunes and pushing the audio via wireless lan to my power book that's connected to my stereo via line out.

Hi,

I will be sat at my iMac with itunes and pushing the audio via wireless lan to my power book that's connected to my stereo via line out.

Got it. Well I would suggest looking for an itunes "radio" program. I can remember seeing on this forum before people looking for a way to essentially be the DJ for their friends. You could use software that does that then have the powerbook listening to your "station" that you create on your imac. I would give you a link but I don't have it.

Got it. Well I would suggest looking for an itunes "radio" program. I can remember seeing on this forum before people looking for a way to essentially be the DJ for their friends. You could use software that does that then have the powerbook listening to your "station" that you create on your imac. I would give you a link but I don't have it.

Hi Joshr,

Thanks for the posts, I managed a work around.....I copied the iTunes folder onto my PB and installed some freeware called Remote Remote on my iMac, this worked great as the tiny utility allows you to connect to any iTunes running on your network and lets you choose Track, Playlist and volume setting remotely.

Many Thanks

Have a look a application called net tunes at Shirtpocket i used it to hook up a mac mini to my hifi for a party and then used my macbookpro locked safely away to control the music via, so i wireless acessed itunes on the mac mini from my macbokpro, to wireless stream music from macbookpro to my mini. its actually quite simple in pratice.

w

Have a look a application called net tunes at Shirtpocket i used it to hook up a mac mini to my hifi for a party and then used my macbookpro locked safely away to control the music via, so i wireless acessed itunes on the mac mini from my macbokpro, to wireless stream music from macbookpro to my mini. its actually quite simple in pratice.

w

Thanks this looks great and I like the idea of being able to lock away the Server Machine! Cool idea and may save me a system, not that I dont trust my friends ;)