The Dead Herring

Apple Myths

I have a friend who once told me with complete sincerity, "iPods can't natively play MP3s" He was convinced that the files were converted to M4a when it is synced. Being the only mac user amongst my peers, I was quick to correct him on the matter.

The same friend also thought that the Nanos used miniature hard drives, again, I was quick to correct him.

I have another friend that told me during a Windows-OSX argument that OSX does not fully support right click. He seem convinced of this, despite me telling him that a have used both OSX and XP, and OSX supports right click just as well as Windows. But not only that, the last mac he used was running OS8, likely on a one button mouse, so he has no right to correct me.

Anyway, why don't you share your own stories of gormless friends who seem to think they know all about OSX, but still make comments like these on a regular basis? This would be a good thread to discuss the various myths about the Macintosh that are floating about.

Edited by The Dead Herring

joe28753    0

my friends always say that macs arent good for gaming.. oh wait..

TDamon    0

I can't think of any specific examples right now, but I am often correcting people who say things in the form "You can't do ______ on a Mac". Those people are almost always wrong. They just don't know how to do it, so I do my best to enlighten them.

cherry su    0

"OS X is less configurable than XP"

Yea right. Apple hides those tweaks because they don't want n00bs to screw up their system and then blame Apple for it!

I would think more tinker-savvy people know what a command line is and know that it is their fault for screwing up the system.

I have a friend who once told me with complete sincerity, "iPods can't natively play MP3s" He was convinced that the files were converted to M4a when it is synced. Being the only mac user amongst my peers, I was quick to correct him on the matter.

that's what a zune does to vid files not wmv...converts 'em to 320x240 wmv at transfer time!! wat a waste of CPU and time

Edited by cherry su

chrishoo    0

Might be hard to believe,

but I still get the ancient 'But Macs can't open MS Office documents'!

or Macs are not very good for multitasking (clearly misinformed there...)

joenspa    26

I still love the "you can't get software for a Mac" folks. Of course there is more for Windows. Say like the 140,000 virus, those are apps as far as I'm concerned.

Goatman    0
"OS X is less configurable than XP"

Yea right. Apple hides those tweaks because they don't want n00bs to screw up their system and then blame Apple for it!

I would think more tinker-savvy people know what a command line is and know that it is their fault for screwing up the system.

that's what a zune does to vid files not wmv...converts 'em to 320x240 wmv at transfer time!! wat a waste of CPU and time

At least the file is converted automatically, the user doesn't have to right click on it and choose "Convert for iPod" the ipod will only play a very specific video format and resolution... just like the Zune. Only you have to choose the convert command, and have double of the file. Because once you've converted it it annoying in iTunes to figure out which file you're looking at... the .WAV or the .MP3 you just created for example.

Bunzie    0

I work in the public school system and hear often from fellow elementary teachers that macs cannot open pc files. That is a really hard one to explain to people who do not understand that it is application to application.

I also hear that there is no software for macs. There is so much out there. Lately, I have been really into these little programs (like image well) that do one thing very well without bloat.

Also, one assumed myth is that macs behave and get viruses and spyware just like a pc. I am amused by people's responses when I tell them that there isn't anything to worry about on a mac. I get these looks of disbelief - hahahaha.

Most people only know pc's and windows. They aren't aware of different operating systems and when presented with a choice assume that they are all like windows, or should be. I think the general population is technologically immature. Hopefully, there will be more operating systems to choose from in the future, with more open standards among them. But I digress . . . .

;)

joe28753    0

i get people telling me about how macs cant talk to pc's, or be networked etc.

i've set up a network faster with my mac and a pc than two xp machines together. no workgroups or any of that crap to think about, you just connect and then click the network button in the finder. this is assuming the pc is correctly set up. thats what takes all the time. trying to figure out how to turn on file sharing or whatever on the windows machine.

Edited by joe28753

Ignoracious    1

Two myths I came across:

Mac OS X runs on PCs too. Not! Well, at least not out of the box. It is against the end users license agreement, anyway:

This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time.
Note the term "Apple-labeled computer".

Apple is a dinky company, compared to Microsoft. Not! The enterprise values of Apple and Microsoft are 67.59 billion and 253.76 billion, respectively, so approximately 1 : 4. So Microsoft is a huge company, but Apple isn't as tiny as some people think it is. Apple is comparable to Dell, which has a enterprise value of 56.55 billion, which is surprises some people.

(all figures as of April 14, 2007)

cooperrose    0

This is the funniest one I have ever herd. My aunt wanted to buy a mac and she was talking to other people about it and she was talking to the stores that only sell windoze so of corse they are like no dont get a mac. She didnt listen to them untill one of them told her that they would melt if they were in a warm environment. :lol: the story ends when she herd that she immediatly perchased a windoze and she has owned it for a while now.

Bainzey    4

The only thing that I always get in the neck about is that you cant use .pub & publisher on a mac :( I realllllly need it.. I have to do all my iGCSE coursework on Parallels!

well my one friend thinks windows xp is the best thing that ever has happened to our world lol. In the end, after a very, very long debate, he said that xp just looks better even if it doesn't work better and therefore everyone should buy a pc.... i laughed in his face lol... he also said that vista isn't as good as xp and that microsoft should never have made it... i told him apple doesn't have a problem building on their own stuff and making it better... he gave me a look and i laughed

there is so many more rofl :D

Huskermn    33
Apple is a dinky company, compared to Microsoft. Not! The enterprise values of Apple and Microsoft are 67.59 billion and 253.76 billion, respectively, so approximately 1 : 4. So Microsoft is a huge company, but Apple isn't as tiny as some people think it is. Apple is comparable to Dell, which has a enterprise value of 56.55 billion, which is surprises some people.

(all figures as of April 14, 2007)

Current figures are even closer for Apple and Microsoft: Market caps - Apple 164.50B, Microsoft 349.43B. Dell is now less than half of Apple 67.62B

All figures as of today 11/1/07

Most people only know pc's and windows. They aren't aware of different operating systems and when presented with a choice assume that they are all like windows, or should be. I think the general population is technologically immature. Hopefully, there will be more operating systems to choose from in the future, with more open standards among them. But I digress . . . .

;)

Yes I would have to agree with you there. That was me before I switched to the Mac last year. It had never really occured to me that there was a difference to pay attention to.

trucklover    0

One of my college room mates has an XP machine. It went through a system update and restarted the computer automatically. After the restart he lost all internet connectivity. Wireless and ethernet are a no go. I tried everything that I could think of, ipconfig to get the TCP/IP status. I tried to ping the computer from my Mac and no response. 100% packet loss. We dug and dug through system settings. They really are hard to navigate through. You pretty much need an IT degree to find what you are looking for in XP. With a simple click of my mouse I am right where I need to be in Mac OSX. Much easier. Another roommate said that I should not buy a Mac (this was when I was purchasing my first computer in 2006) because they were hard to use. "get and HP" he said. I did my homework and would up with a 17" MacBook Pro refurb. I also have XP on it to run FeatureCAM and AutoCad when in school. I haven't looked back since.