Sign in to follow this  
Outkast

Deleting previous iTunes Libraries?

Outkast    0

I'm trying to recover space on my powerbook, and I started eying the previous iTunes Libraries. Would deleting any of the past ones affect my current Library? Or is it safe to delete them?

Also, my iPod Photo Cache has gotten bigger than my iPhoto Library. If I deleted this off the mac, would anything be affected?

Thanks for any tips on either of these questions.

it depends what is in the iTunes library, you can delete the xml files, and the album artwork folder. but inside the iTunes Music folder there might be mp3s, or aac files that you could loose.

joshr    0

I never replied to this because I don't know what you mean by a previous itunes library. I have one library and that is all I have ever had. Why would you have more than one library? Maybe different users? Maybe explain that and I will be able to offer some advice.

Eye_Doc    0

There may be a folder in your itunes folder called Previous iTunes libraries.

I deleted mine, but I am not sure what was in it or whether I should have deleted it. So don't really know if it is the right or the wrong thing to do!!

It isn't that big though, so perhaps you would be better off looking for other things to delete, e.g. garageband loops, iDVD themes, cache files....

Ginamos    0
There may be a folder in your itunes folder called Previous iTunes libraries.

I deleted mine, but I am not sure what was in it or whether I should have deleted it. So don't really know if it is the right or the wrong thing to do!!

It isn't that big though, so perhaps you would be better off looking for other things to delete, e.g. garageband loops, iDVD themes, cache files....

According to Apple it's fine to delete those folders.

From What are the iTunes library files?

"Tip: New versions of iTunes sometimes include enhancements to the iTunes library. When you open the new version of iTunes, iTunes upgrades your existing library to the new format and places a copy of the old library in the Previous Libraries folder. If everything goes fine during your upgrade to the latest version of iTunes, you can delete the older iTunes Library files."