akourinc

I need some testers for my new website

Hey...

I am starting a website that is going to be released to the public pretty soon called yourprizefree.com ;

I know that so many of the users in this forum are experienced and talented web designers/surfers, so I was wondering if some of you could sign up for the site and help me test for any bugs/logistical errors. I will reimburse you for your efforts...

the website is http://www.yourprizefree.com

Even if you arent a webdesigner, I would like some feedback from an end users' perspective and sort of logistical or maybe even typography errors...

At first glance, you may think this might be a scam, but it isnt...you have the admin of the site on this forum which you can contact at any time.

I am going to ask you to submit support tickets if you notice something wrong with the site...

Best of all....its free.... (And you will be given extra points for helping me and spreading the word!)

Thanks!

(Also...feel free to PM me or email me at any time if you have some questions.) :rolleyes:

I am adding a new offer.

The first 5 people to sign up for the site and complete any two offers get a bonus 50 POINTS.

You must be an "un-referred" user and mention this offer in a support ticket!

Notes about site:

Hey i run a web design company so i thought i would give you some friendy feedback!

Looks simple, but thats fine! Maybe in the future you may want to upgrade graphics!

Infomation is well organised, love the little info boxes as you hover over an item!

Large selection of offers, allways a good thing!

Great terms of service and well written out!

Like this report spam idea!

Overall its doing its job, very well!

Although looks very simple and boring. Try and make it a little more appealing to the eye, this may get you even more people signing up!

Thank you for your very helpful advice. I will definately start spicing things up....but I kind of need to know what Im going to do first. I think I am going to get the new logo in place today, and then base the rest of the design from there.... is that a bad idea?

thanks tho for your help!!!

edit: we have the exact same number of posts as of now.

Edited by akourinc

Hey there, I too am a full time web developer and designer ( and I still love getting feedback and tips for my own sites ). Looking over your site which seems nicely put together and thought out, there was just a few constructive points I could give you:

W3C compliance.

This is ever increasingly more important, make sure, if you can, that you site matches up to their validator, looking at your source I don't think there will be too much editing for you to do before it validates as XHTML compliant. Check out how you did at:

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%...;doctype=Inline

Logo Design

I think you've got the right approach here, just by spicing up the logo, your entire site will have a completely different feel. Having a smooth slick logo means everything to a new user.

Try smoothing out your vectors a little and going for something slick.*hoho word repetition* I recommend something white without the embossed oval. If you're keen I can help you on the photoshop side of things.

CSS

Just some quick tips for your CSS file, which on the whole seems pretty neat.

make sure the 'a' class refers specifically to a:link or a:hover. You might also want to add in a:visited.

They should be in this order:

a:link, a:visited { }

a:hover { }

Dont forget that height 100% is a little buggy on most browsers at best, and your filter for the drop shadows isn't w3c standards compliant, you might want to look into alternative ways of generating that.

Also, with your center wrap, make sure to include text-align:center; in there too, it'll help older browsers know what to do with the site. If you're doing that then also add in to your content div the clause: text-align:left; to ensure text doesnt splurge into the center uncontrollably.

One last logo/css tip

Try putting in the image as a background image to div, using the clauses display:block, background-image:url();, background-position:center top; etc. You can pop a link round it or include a javascript onClick() function.

On the whole though, I would say top notch. Job well done :D

Good luck with the site, hope it all works out!

Best,

James

*edited for some spelling mistakes, probably missed some more as well :P

Edited by SkippyChalmers

Hey there, I too am a full time web developer and designer ( and I still love getting feedback and tips for my own sites ). Looking over your site which seems nicely put together and thought out, there was just a few constructive points I could give you:

W3C compliance.

This is ever increasingly more important, make sure, if you can, that you site matches up to their validator, looking at your source I don't think there will be too much editing for you to do before it validates as XHTML compliant. Check out how you did at:

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%...;doctype=Inline

Logo Design

I think you've got the right approach here, just by spicing up the logo, your entire site will have a completely different feel. Having a smooth slick logo means everything to a new user.

Try smoothing out your vectors a little and going for something slick.*hoho word repetition* I recommend something white without the embossed oval. If you're keen I can help you on the photoshop side of things.

CSS

Just some quick tips for your CSS file, which on the whole seems pretty neat.

make sure the 'a' class refers specifically to a:link or a:hover. You might also want to add in a:visited.

They should be in this order:

a:link, a:visited { }

a:hover { }

Dont forget that height 100% is a little buggy on most browsers at best, and your filter for the drop shadows isn't w3c standards compliant, you might want to look into alternative ways of generating that.

Also, with your center wrap, make sure to include text-align:center; in there too, it'll help older browsers know what to do with the site. If you're doing that then also add in to your content div the clause: text-align:left; to ensure text doesnt splurge into the center uncontrollably.

One last logo/css tip

Try putting in the image as a background image to div, using the clauses display:block, background-image:url();, background-position:center top; etc. You can pop a link round it or include a javascript onClick() function.

On the whole though, I would say top notch. Job well done :D

Good luck with the site, hope it all works out!

Best,

James

*edited for some spelling mistakes, probably missed some more as well :P

WOW! Thank you very much for the help, SkippyChalmers

I hAve taken most of your suggestions, and if you want to take a peak at the newly redesigned version, it is updated and ready for new critique.

Thanks again! I will be slowly adding all of your suggestions as I get more time on my hands, but as of now, the site does not validate with the w3c checker for some reason... i dont really understand why... If anyone who knows that tool better than I can check it out...maybe they can explain it to me?