OddPrime

When to buy (black imacs)

Its tax time, and I'm getting my normal large interest free loan from the government back.

Im going to be picking up a few apple items in specific

24" iMac

macbook

ipod video

but the question is when.

With the rumor of the new black iMac's coming out

the larger 15" macbook

and the hope for a iphone minus the phone.

Not to mention OS X 10.5

I currently dont have a mac, my 1st gen mini died late last year, so that just adds to my anxiety, but

If they are going to be waiting till august to come out with all of these things then I dont think I could wait.

but if its going to be late in march or april, then maybe I could hold out getting anything till then.

What are your thoughts of when these new items are going to be coming out?

I personally don't see any of them coming out. You'll get an touch screen ipod at some point (I'm waiting for one of these too since my 5G died), but I don't think the others will ever come out.

I dont much care if the imac is black or not.

But I am hessitant to buy a new mac until after leapord comes out, I dont want to have to pay 100.00 a month after I purchase the new mac in order to get leapord.

But I guess at the root of my original questions were rather or not people felt there would be an update to the imac's or macbooks in the coming months? or is it going to be august before any hardware updates come down the line?

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

Thats always helped me... As Adam always says, if you need it, buy it. Macs last for ages anyway, so you're still getting an awesome machine.

[edit] This just popped up in my feed reader re the black imac http://www.macscoop.com/articles/2007/02/2...imac-on-the-way

Edited by Graham

but the question is when.

With the rumor of the new black iMac's coming out

I can't see apple ever releasing a black desktop computer. The major thing about a desktop is everyone does a black desktop, only Apple does a white, and very distinctive desktop...If they do it'll be cool, but I doubt that'll happen...

the larger 15" macbook

Macbook - 13.3 White - $1299

Macbook - 13.3 Black - $1499

Macbook Pro- 15 - $1999

if Apple were to release a 15" macbook it would cost $1699 and the spec would be far too close to the pro. The 13" macbook is amazing, the 15" pro is awesome, a 15" macbook non pro is really a waste in the product line...

and the hope for a iphone minus the phone

me too, not til christmas I'd guess, why canabalise iPhone sales b4 you sell your stock...

Not to mention OS X 10.5

sooner rather than later...I have a theory and it seems to make sense...

Its tax time, and I'm getting my normal large interest free loan from the government back.

Hey man, although a little off-topic, if you are getting huge returns back from the government each year, you should have less taken from your paycheck, since you could easily invest that money, and get a higher return. You could get an extra couple hundred of bucks, if you invest it wisely, instead of letting the government capitalize off you hard work.

Don't get me wrong, I think taxes when used properly, are probably one of the most important functions of any government, but in this case, there could be a lot of opportunity lost for investment, and getting even more money back.

As far as getting an iMac, I really like my 24", and don't think they will update it, since it just came out, but I also said that when they first released the iSight G5, only to have it replaced a few months later, by the first Intel iMacs. When to buy a Mac is sort of science, sort of luck. I wish you the best of luck with your decision, and hopefully Apple will not release something shortly after you put your money down.

Take care,

Bruce

I don't think that Apple will come out with any black iMacs right away. Also, Apple will probably not ship a possible 15" macbook before they get some new processors in the whole lineup, which won't happen right away. If I were you, I would wait with the iPod, if you can. But since I'm not you, I can't tell if you REALLY, REALLY need a new iPod - and hey, we don't know when it's going to come. Maybe you'll have to wait a whole year. Soeh... Go for an iMac and a Macbook :rolleyes:

I think im going to end up holding off on the macbook, Im going to get Lasik surgery instead :-)

But I belive im going to pull the trigger on the 24" iMac. My main concern is fear of running into a slow machine. Previously i had a G4 mac mini with 1GB of ram. I do a lot of digital photography and running Photoshop cs2 was a bit of a dog. When I get the new iMac im either going to pick up lightroom or apeture, and I want it to be as snappy as possible. So im looking at Maxing out the ram 3GB but at 750.00 bucks OUCH! But I will probably still end up with the 3GB ram but going with the slower 2.16 vs the 2.33 And keeping with the smaller 250GB drive. Tax man sayeth paycheck should be here tomorrow.

So now I must ask the question. Where is the best place to make my purchase. I live in PA and want to avoid sales tax. But if I buy from someplace other than apple.com I need to be able to bump up the RAM to the 3GB mark, what reliable online retailers will do this?

I think im going to end up holding off on the macbook, Im going to get Lasik surgery instead :-)

But I belive im going to pull the trigger on the 24" iMac. My main concern is fear of running into a slow machine. Previously i had a G4 mac mini with 1GB of ram. I do a lot of digital photography and running Photoshop cs2 was a bit of a dog. When I get the new iMac im either going to pick up lightroom or apeture, and I want it to be as snappy as possible. So im looking at Maxing out the ram 3GB but at 750.00 bucks OUCH! But I will probably still end up with the 3GB ram but going with the slower 2.16 vs the 2.33 And keeping with the smaller 250GB drive. Tax man sayeth paycheck should be here tomorrow.

So now I must ask the question. Where is the best place to make my purchase. I live in PA and want to avoid sales tax. But if I buy from someplace other than apple.com I need to be able to bump up the RAM to the 3GB mark, what reliable online retailers will do this?

I suggest buying it from apple.com but with the minimum RAM along with Applecare. Applecare is worth buying on an Imac. Then go to crucial.com and buy 3GB of memory. Sell your old memory and put in the new stuff. The RAM will not affect your warranty they just don't cover non-apple RAM. You will save a lot on the RAM if you don't buy it from apple.

Yea, after loosing my mac mini because I didnt buy apple care, I will be buying it this go round.

Figured I should give this an update now that I have all my new equipment

I got the iMac 24" with 2GB of ram from macconnection.com I had a wonderful expeince with them and will do business again with them.

I also picked up the Spyder 2 suite monitor calibration tool from macconnection.

I also picked up a 15" macbook pro refurbished from apple, which just came in about an hour ago, and is sitting on the battery charger, I cant wait to start it up and start to play. I took apples free shipping and boy did that take, what seemed like an eternity, in reality it was a little over a week.

Applecare is worth buying on an iMac

Any particular reason why its worth buying for an iMac?

I don't know if it would apply to the newer Intel iMacs, but both of my family's G5 iMacs have been into the apple store for some major repairs which have totaled over $1k. Luckily we had apple care for both ;)

I'd say it's always a good idea to get apple care. It's also good for when you get a mac for someone who isn't too good with computers. Now my mum has someone else to call when she's broken (or thinks she has) her computer... ^_^

I said this because Imacs are hard to work on and have expensive parts. Still as Graham said I think it should be purchased for every computer.

I just bought apple care the day before my 1yr warranty ran out for my iMac. I spent that year listening to everyone praise it and say its a must have. There was no way i was gonna learn the hard way if something went foul on my iMac. If the monitor and something else had to be replaced i would basically be buying the iMac all over again in repair costs. Its just nice to top notch insurance for you computer.

Cheers