Sign in to follow this  
Sean MacGeek

iPod Hard drive replacement service

Can anyone reccomend to me a good service to have my 3rd Gen 20GB iPod's hard drive replaced? It's gone bum on me just recently, and my "local" Apple Store Genius said that all they could do was give me a refurbished one for $200, but suggested that I try a third party service before going to that extreme.

I'm looking for a good price, but also important is quality of service and how the 'Pod gets treated (comes back looking just as good as when it left, or as close as possible).

well if you google there are many places that will replace your hdd

a good place that i know ive had great experience with is www.ipodmods.com

they do free inspections to see what the problem is, then they email you a quote to fix it. if you say the quote is ok (they are usually very affordable) they fix it. they can upgrade your hdd

if you have some tech know how they also sell spare parts like hdds and lcds

I would say in general a replacement hard drive is going to cost you almost as much as just buying a refurbished iPod. I was able to find a brand new 40GB iPod Photo on close out at my local CompUSA for $299.00. Last time I was at Fry's the Toshiba 1.8" 5GB hard drive was over $200.00

Yeah, I found out as much when I went to check it out. The Genius Bar said they'd be cheaper, but it's a no-go as far as that goes. The replacement drives that I found from the above link were $160, so I guess that I'll be bearing with my tottering, half-fried HD for a while while I budget the money to purchase (actually more of a trade-in) a refurb @ the Apple Store.