Sign in to follow this  
Patrick

LaCie External HD not mounting

Hi All,

I have an LaCie Porsche 250GB External HD with FireWire cable that I have stored some valuable data on, and for some reason it won't mount on my Mac anymore. I have tried running Disc Utility to repair premissions and swtiched the FireWire cables but to no avail. The little light in the front lights up light yellow, but nothing else happens. I have heard that it can be very costly to send a drive to a data recovering service so I would like to find my own solution. I really would appreciate any help.

Thanks so much,

Patrick

killersmile@mac.com

Patrick:

Sorry to hear you're having problems.

The first thing I would try is to attempt mounting the drive from another computer. What you learn from that action will determine where you need to go and what you need to do next.

Have hope, the drive, and your data, may be fine.

Hi All,

I have an LaCie Porsche 250GB External HD with FireWire cable that I have stored some valuable data on, and for some reason it won't mount on my Mac anymore. I have tried running Disc Utility to repair premissions and swtiched the FireWire cables but to no avail. The little light in the front lights up light yellow, but nothing else happens. I have heard that it can be very costly to send a drive to a data recovering service so I would like to find my own solution. I really would appreciate any help.

Thanks so much,

Patrick

killersmile@mac.com

I had a LaCie drive also fail about 6 months ago, I tried disk warrior and nothing happened then I used tech tools pro data recovery and it rebuilt the directory structure (something like that) on the drive and its been working fine and I lost a few photos that were duplicates and I think they may have been corrupted files that were not allowing the drive to work properly.

Joe

Often times the enclosure will fail and the drive will no longer mount but the drive inside is fine. I would try http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk first to see if there a directory structure problem or something like that. Next I would buy an external enclosure and crack open the Lacie remove the drive and put it in the new enclosure and see if it reads there. If neither of those work then you are left with paying LOTS of money for data recovery.