Sign in to follow this  
Mac-User

Using X11...

Hey MacFans,

I have been interested in the OpenOffice project which can be found at www.openoffice.org. I feel that i need some of the software that they have to offer on my Mac. However, they hae only managed to get it running on X11 and not on Aqua. I have tried several times to use X11 but every time i try to install it, I always get the message that there is already newer software on my Mac. I have no idea what this 'newer software' is and would greatly appreciate it if anyone could help me find a way to install X11.

I have tried the method of installing it from my DVD disc that i receieved with my mac but have not managed to find it there.

Can anyone solve my problem?

Thanks

I have been interested in the OpenOffice project which can be found at www.openoffice.org. I feel that i need some of the software that they have to offer on my Mac. However, they hae only managed to get it running on X11 and not on Aqua. I have tried several times to use X11 but every time i try to install it, I always get the message that there is already newer software on my Mac. I have no idea what this 'newer software' is and would greatly appreciate it if anyone could help me find a way to install X11.

I've got two suggestions for you:

1) Make sure you are trying to install X11 from the DVD that came with your Mac. It seems to think you already have X11 installed... it installs into the Utilities folder under Applications (and not directly in Applications), so check there, too.

2) I would suggest checking out NeoOffice. It is a port of OpenOffice for the Mac. It is updated pretty quickly with updates of OpenOffice. This solves your OpenOffice dilemma, but is not helpful if you need X11 for other things in the future.

Here is another vote for NeoOffice. I like it because I do not have to install X11. If you are looking for word processor alone, try AbiWord.

THe reason why it says you have newer software is because tiger (10.4 or 10.4.3) is older than the curent and last few updates. To install X11, you must reinstall esssential system components. Basically, like an archive and install. Try an archive and install, and check the X11 box. Another great thing to do is unchek additional languages. ( i recommend doing this when you first get your mac or OS X disk, but anyways...)

If you dont Reinstall "essential System components" then you wont get X11.

Hallo, this is my first post. About X11, one tricky thing is that you have to browse to you DVD that came along with your mac (disk1)

for the Optional Install and then after a few trivial steps, you can see the tab Applications. Then you try to browse to X11, click on it and you install it.