Sign in to follow this  
MacFanatic05

Dead 1G 10GB iPod...think The Genius Bar could get me a 4G?

basically...my 1st gen ipod is really screwed. it can still play music for a short amount of time...after that, it freezes up...my guess is during the buffering time. i dont know why, but i guess its a read error in either the hard drive or the memory, just like how a Mac kernel panics and freezes when something is wrong with the hardware.

after the freeze and when you reset, you can never get back to the iPod main menu. you always get a bad icon...dead iPod (X'ed eyes)/folder exclamation point/low batt...it varys from every reset you do. the only way you can get the main menu back is by hooking the ipod up back to the mac, forcing multiple reboots and force disk mode until it finally mounts to the mac, and then restoring it with the ipod updater. talk about bad luck, eh?

do you think i have any chance of convincing the genius dude at the apple store in getting me a 4g 20gb B&W or Color for free or at a high discount, since I had been an ipod user since the beginning?

in fact, i dont really care if its another 1g or a 4g color...i just want an ipod that works, and i cant afford to cough out $300 (or $270 for higher education) right now since im about to start college...

Hate to say it but i doubt it. If they would do that for you they would have to do it for everyone and thats not something they are going to do.

did you try a complete restore of the software?

i doubt its a problem with the hardware, its most likely firmware

if you dont mind putting all yours songs on over again try a firmware restore.

i've tried firmware...it still freezes up.

this all started after i ran around with my ipod in my pocket, so im guessing something broke due to the force.

Hate to say it but i doubt it. If they would do that for you they would have to do it for everyone and thats not something they are going to do.
http://maccast.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=581 apparently a few people got their ipods replaced when they were dead, but it was only a year or two difference between the time they bought it and the time it broke.

hi from the apple store @ tysons corner va!

genius told me to follow through with the class action battery thing and then use that moola and the ipod replacement program to get 10% off + $50 to get a new ipod...my 1Gen ipod is absoluely dead!