joshr

Temporarily Copy a DVD

I have a DVD from the library but only for 2 days. Luckily it's a movie that is in the public domain so I can copy it. To that end I am wondering if mactheripper or handbrake would be a better choice to make a temporary copy. It's possible that I would want to put it on my ipod so I can watch it on the train but if not then I will be watching it on my computer, I would like the option. I only need to keep it for about a week so I don't need to burn to DVD. If I use mactheripper will I will be able to later put in on my ipod if I decide?

Edited by joshr

if you use instant handbrake, you can rip the dvd into an ipod ready video file, and also the file is pretty decent quality for computer viewing. you can get that here.

MacTheRipper will not make iPod ready files, so Handbrake is the better choice; however, you won't get all of the extras with Handbrake.

-Rob

if you use instant handbrake, you can rip the dvd into an ipod ready video file, and also the file is pretty decent quality for computer viewing. you can get that here.

Whats different about instant handbrake and regular handbrake? Using handbrake the quality will be decent on my computer?

MacTheRipper will not make iPod ready files, so Handbrake is the better choice; however, you won't get all of the extras with Handbrake.

-Rob

Can I take the MacTheRipper files and then later use handbrake to convert them to ipod ready format?

Edited by joshr

Instant Handbrake is just a stripped down version of Handbrake with less customization. It uses the most common video settings for almost one-click converting of DVDs without worrying about settings.

Yes you can take MacTheRipper files and use handbrake on them to make them ipod ready. MTR just strips the copy protection off the DVD and moves its folders onto the hard drive in the same format. The only difference between using handbrake on the MTR files and a real DVD is instead of selecting "Detected Volume" just change to the "DVD Folder / Image" option and browse to the video_ts folder in the directory MTR created.

if your not going to archive it, and you have space on your hdd i'd just use mac the ripper, and then play the vob files through vlc. drive in is also a really neat piece of software that has some mac flair..

http://lifehacker.com/software/dvds/downlo...-mac-218607.php

I haven't used Instant Handbrake, but you can adjust the settings in Handbrake to get the best quality video that your iPod will play. I don't remember the required settings for the iPod, but Handbrake will do both H264 and Mpeg-4.

You could copy the file to your computer using MacTheRipper, which is pretty fast; AND you could make a copy for your iPod with Handbrake. If you don't end up watching the movie on your iPod, you have the full quality version on your computer. When you're done watching, you can trash them both.

Also, because the hard drive is faster than the optical drive, I've found that converting files with Handbrake on a movie I've copies onto my hard drive with MTR to be faster than converting directly from the optical drive.

I ended up using http://mediafork.dynalias.com/blog/ because mactheripper was not universal, did not appear to be leveraging the system power very well, and was going to take forever. Mediafork is just the further development of handbrake. It has a nice interface and it is a universal binary so I went for it and it seemed to be very quick. The quality after ripping it is acceptable fullscreen and obviously works on my ipod.