shockwavedave

General Maintenance Practice Tips

I know this has been discussed on the show before, and if there is a thread somewhere if somebody can point me to it I'd appreciate it. I am looking for a general guide of what one should do to keep things in tip top shape. I know there is repair permissions and to zap the pram, but is there anything else? Just like a short "Do this once a month" list would be great. Specifically I have a iMac G5 1.8 running 10.4.8, but I'm even more worried about my gf's computer, an iBook G4 running 10.3.9. We finally got her huge music collection on to an external hd so there's actually room now to work with the thing, but she says it's been running sluggishly and not like when she got it. I know doing a fresh install would fix things, but I don't want to go that far. Thoughts?

Dave E.

I know this has been discussed on the show before, and if there is a thread somewhere if somebody can point me to it I'd appreciate it. I am looking for a general guide of what one should do to keep things in tip top shape. I know there is repair permissions and to zap the pram, but is there anything else? Just like a short "Do this once a month" list would be great. Specifically I have a iMac G5 1.8 running 10.4.8, but I'm even more worried about my gf's computer, an iBook G4 running 10.3.9. We finally got her huge music collection on to an external hd so there's actually room now to work with the thing, but she says it's been running sluggishly and not like when she got it. I know doing a fresh install would fix things, but I don't want to go that far. Thoughts?

Dave E.

i run YASU once a month, its a simple utility that just clears out log files, and temp files ect. other than that i don't do too much of anything to maintain my mac.. should i? hah.

You might want to take a look at Onyx and/or Maintenance (developed by the same company). They're great maintenance utilities that you might find beneficial.

You might want to take a look at Onyx and/or Maintenance (developed by the same company). They're great maintenance utilities that you might find beneficial.

Maintenance is just Oynx stripped of everything but the maintenance stuff so need to use both. Use Oynx if you want its extra features otherwise just use Maintenance. The original poster can't use either though because he has 10.3.9 and those products require 10.4

Edited by joshr

Maintenance is just Oynx stripped of everything but the maintenance stuff so need to use both. Use Oynx if you want it extra features otherwise just use Maintenance. The original poster can't use either though because he has 10.3.9 and those products require 10.4

He can use either one on his machine since it's running Tiger, and for his GF's machine, their download page does mention a version of Onyx for Panther (that's what I meant by and/or):

http://www.titanium.free.fr/dl/OnyX_153.zip

You should only do that if you have issues with your mac. It shouldn't be used for general maintenance (or so I've heard).

Was listening to this podcast mon night , its all about maintenace and and found I was doing too much.

http://www.typicalmacuser.com/wordpress/ Also has links there on asst. maint. software.