agerom

Firewire and passord protection (?)

So, I tried to conect two mac books and use one as a hard drive to transfer some GB's. I wanted to know if and - most important - how can I activate a password so when I connect the slave to the master it will password-protected.

If you're talking about connecting over Firewire by putting one mac into Target Disk mode, then i don't know of any way to password that mac's HD without interfering with its boot process.

However, you could use Firewire networking and make sure that your user accounts have passwords. Details of how to set up networking over Firewire on macs can be found here. Make sure that Personal File Sharing is turned on in the Sharing System Preference pane and the macs should be able to see each other via Bonjour

If you're talking about connecting over Firewire by putting one mac into Target Disk mode, then i don't know of any way to password that mac's HD without interfering with its boot process.

However, you could use Firewire networking and make sure that your user accounts have passwords. Details of how to set up networking over Firewire on macs can be found here. Make sure that Personal File Sharing is turned on in the Sharing System Preference pane and the macs should be able to see each other via Bonjour

Unfortunately I mean the Target Disk mode. You see although my machine is stealth and cannot be accessed easily, I dont want to be

hacked by firewire, if someone sneaks into it :(

if you don't mind my asking, and assuming i understand your setup correctly, if you have two macbooks why are you wasting one's potential by only using it as an external HD?

I think if someone gets to the point where they can physically access your machine without your knowledge or permission, firewire hacking would probably be the least of your worries.

But, you can probably use FileVault, and you can take a look at http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106482

Of course with physical access, the password protection on the firmware is defeatable by resetting the PRAM a couple times, and with physical access you can reset passwords if you know how, hard drives can be removed and connected to other machines directly, filevault can be cracked etc.

But, you can probably use FileVault, and you can take a look at http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106482

Of course with physical access, the password protection on the firmware is defeatable by resetting the PRAM a couple times, and with physical access you can reset passwords if you know how, hard drives can be removed and connected to other machines directly, filevault can be cracked etc.

With open firmware passwords, it is not possible to start up in target mode anyway.

I know, but theoretically it should be possible to turn it on and off though, or at least install it when you leave, uninstall it when you come back.

Probably get better results out of making a firewire plug thats strapped and locked down so it cant be removed without a key or combo or something and remove it when you need it though. But if your really worried about that kind of security, you would be better off looking for something other than just wasting a macbook.

if you don't mind my asking, and assuming i understand your setup correctly, if you have two macbooks why are you wasting one's potential by only using it as an external HD?

I am having a- back up machine- at my place and one in the office.