Nathan

Rejected Password in Mail

It's always the same thing: "The POP server "pop-server.rochester.rr.com" rejected the password for user. Please re-enter your password, or cancel." Every time I enter my password, click "Remember this password in my keychain," and hope the message goes away permanently. But it doesn't. It comes back 3 minutes later. I know I'm typing in the right password. I know I am. I know categorically that I am typing the right password. And yet still the message persists, with no way to stop it except canceling it (in which case I receive no new mail) or quitting the mail application (in which case I receive no new mail). Any suggestions?

It's always the same thing: "The POP server "pop-server.rochester.rr.com" rejected the password for user. Please re-enter your password, or cancel." Every time I enter my password, click "Remember this password in my keychain," and hope the message goes away permanently. But it doesn't. It comes back 3 minutes later. I know I'm typing in the right password. I know I am. I know categorically that I am typing the right password. And yet still the message persists, with no way to stop it except canceling it (in which case I receive no new mail) or quitting the mail application (in which case I receive no new mail). Any suggestions?

I see this sometimes, and thus far I've blamed it on problems with the ISP. I think that this is the behaviour you see if there's an error connecting to the POP server.

Of course, Mail.app *should* really give a better error. When it happens, I usually just hit "Cancel", and try again later.

This also happens to me when use my gmail account in mail, its bloody annoying. I now use entourage to manage my gmail account and not had this problem. This problem with mail/server was the reason i didn't renew my .Mac account as the same problem was driving me to a padded cell. Anybody else had similar problems with mail?

This was happening to me last night, as well. I think it's a Road Runner issue.

I had problems like this with my old mail server. Switch mail servers, if you can.

This is a RoadRunner issue, it happens to me occasionally and when it does it does exactly as you describe.

roog

This is a RoadRunner issue, it happens to me occasionally and when it does it does exactly as you describe.

roog

What's RoadRunner?

Nathan, I'm not sure what else I can add to the replies already posted, and you probably already checked your e-mail account settings but my wife was experiencing the same issue and I was able to correct the problem - unfortunately I don't recall which of the following steps correct the issue, but it has not come up since:

In the "mail" preference>accounts>account information I had to verify the correct Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) setting (seems the pull down menu had some variations of our comcast smtp settings and she had selected the incorrect one). Then I went to the "server settings: section (just below that pull-down menu) and had to verify the Authentication and User Name section and noticed the password wasn't listed - so I had to re-enter the password in this section again.

I do recall using the "keychain access>keychain first aid" afterwards (I guess I was just trying to make sure all was well with my keychain. Good luck with solving your issue.