neil_jo

Installing Leopard

Hi was wondering with Leopard when it comes out , would I be upgrading osx 10.4.8 or doing a clean instal.

And would software that Ihave now still work ei. elements 4 ,office 04, garageband jam packs, clean app. taost.

Your software will work. If it doesn't when leopard comes out, then developers will release patches. And you can do an upgrade, archive and install or a clean install. Personally, I'll be doing a clean install and then migrating over my user accounts using the migration assistant.

Your software will work. If it doesn't when leopard comes out, then developers will release patches. And you can do an upgrade, archive and install or a clean install. Personally, I'll be doing a clean install and then migrating over my user accounts using the migration assistant.

Yes I would rather do a clean instal myself, as for migration assistant will that work from an external firewire drive?

Yes I would rather do a clean instal myself, as for migration assistant will that work from an external firewire drive?

migration assistant works from an external drive if you have an installation of osx there with a user account. so if you cloned your startup disk to the backup drive, then it would act the same as if it were, say, another computer in target disk mode.

Just to further confirm what joe said, I've done this myself. Reinstalled OS X (clean install) and then ran Migration Assistant to copy over my user folder and files from a full system clone on an external firewire drive created using SuperDuper! So basically "yes" :)

Just to further confirm what joe said, I've done this myself. Reinstalled OS X (clean install) and then ran Migration Assistant to copy over my user folder and files from a full system clone on an external firewire drive created using SuperDuper! So basically "yes" :)

Good idea , I could use the free trial version of superduper to clone my drive, then transfer my files back to the new system with migration ass.

thanks for the replies.

Migration assistant is great, it can even work from disk images.

Should I look for available software updates first, before I restore my data from an external drive?

That's the procedure many expert Windows users seem to prefer when rebuilding their system with an upgrade version of the operating system.

Edited by Ignoracious

Should I look for available software updates first, before I restore my data from an external drive?

That's the procedure many expert Windows users seem to prefer when rebuilding their system with an upgrade version of the operating system.

If you're going to be reinstalling just your user data (your home folder) it doesn't really matter. If you're going to be reinstalling your whole system include system files and applications then you'd want to hold off on software updates till after the restoration otherwise you might overwrite newer system files with your older backup.

as for migration assistant will that work from an external firewire drive?

Just an FYI: When I switched from my Mac Mini G4 to a MBP I used migration assistant (MA) over a USB connection. It seems that as long as the drive/image is visible MA will work just fine. :D

Evenprimes

I would back up all my stuff and do a clean install... After that, I would install all my own applications again. All applications should work, although there might be some compatibility issues. Updates for popular mac software usually comes out quickly, though.

Isn't it great that next time we talk about this after Leopard I mean.

We will just say, just do a clean install and use your most current TimeMachine backup.

And done. :D

Edited by Thorsten