haydn

ichat multi conferencing

I have a 2 gig G5 Powermac, 1.66 dual core Mini and a 2 gig 17" iMac. All running across a gigabit (locally cabled) ethernet network and all with either additional iSights or built in.

All works perfectly and I can carry out device to device video iChats. However if I try to initialise a 3 way conference the quality degrades significantly. I have Quicktime streaming enabled and the network definately runs at gig speeds so I'm at a bit of a loss as to why I'm losing quality.

I've tried both over bonjour and aol but exactly the same symptoms.

Anyone any ideas?

Cheers

Haydn

I have a 2 gig G5 Powermac, 1.66 dual core Mini and a 2 gig 17" iMac. All running across a gigabit (locally cabled) ethernet network and all with either additional iSights or built in.

All works perfectly and I can carry out device to device video iChats. However if I try to initialise a 3 way conference the quality degrades significantly. I have Quicktime streaming enabled and the network definately runs at gig speeds so I'm at a bit of a loss as to why I'm losing quality.

I've tried both over bonjour and aol but exactly the same symptoms.

Anyone any ideas?

Cheers

Haydn

I've done a 3-way conference on a local wireless network (802.11G) between 2 Macbooks and a 24" iMac, and it worked flawlessly. I'd suggest opening up Activity Monitor on all three machines during the conference call, and see if any of them are pegging either the CPU or the network really hard. Gigabit is way more than enough, so it sounds like something weird is going on.

I don't think that there is a way to stop this. The more people you add, the more the quality degrades. Happens with me too so I think it's normal. Well, you could fix this if you had a T3 connection :)

All three computers are on my own gigabit ethernet LAN so the external internet connection shouldn't have any bearing as I'm networking with bonjour

I've done a 3-way conference on a local wireless network (802.11G) between 2 Macbooks and a 24" iMac, and it worked flawlessly. I'd suggest opening up Activity Monitor on all three machines during the conference call, and see if any of them are pegging either the CPU or the network really hard. Gigabit is way more than enough, so it sounds like something weird is going on.

Thanks for the advice - I'll have a go tonight

Cheers

H