Sign in to follow this  
Tom.landy

apples 2 button scroller!

Its amazing! Apple finall released a two button mouse woth scroll wheel! I'm literally amazed!

Its interesting that they don't mention it as a two button mouse with scroll but are pushing the 4 button & ball words instead.

I'll have to get one!

Wow...Apple released a mouse with more than one button!!! Although it still looks like it has one button only... :D

No more pc people complaining about having only one button!

It would be even better with bluetooth, but that'll be next hopefully.

Is anyone going to buy one and test it here? It does look interesting to say the least. I'm curious about it to be honest and may take the plunge and get one for the heck of it.

Can it be programmed to do command-click and option-click? If so, I might ditch my Logitech MX 310 6-button mouse for this. Apple seems to be pushing Tiger on their Mighty Mouse page. I might fall for it and get it with a copy of Tiger as well.

It seems that the Tiger features are Spotlight and Dashboard, which of course only come with Tiger. But this mouse is compatible with Panther and Windows PC's.

After I checked the Apple Store in Canada online, the cost was already over $70 with shipping and no taxes yet. I'm not willing to spend over $80 CAD for just a wired mouse at that. Too bad. I'll wait until some appear on eBay and I read some reviews on it first.

i don't see how far you can take the programming. I do know that my logitech mx510 allows me to put in option and command + key commands, which is critical for navigating CAD drawings and other repetetive tasks.

i don't see how far you can take the programming. I do know that my logitech mx510 allows me to put in option and command + key commands, which is critical for navigating CAD drawings and other repetetive tasks.

What CAD program do you use on your mac? I'm stuck with both platforms right now because I use AutoCAD for complete compatiblity with my clients.

The interesting thing is that Apple points out that it works with Windows 2000 and XP.

Why? I think this is for the Intel Macs, so that when someone installs Windows to dual boot the Intel Mac, they do not have to have a different mouse. I would expect a new keyboard that allows the Apple key to become a Window's key under Windows (or a driver for windows for the current keyboards).

The mouse also has a speaker in it. What cool things will people do with that? :)

LDJ

Wow, how did I not notice this earlier this morning? Anyways...

I think it's odd that there is no physical click, but just a sensor when you touch the mouse. One thing I kinda like is the physical verification of the click... it's the same reason I like the scroll wheel iPod over the 2nd Generation touch buttons. I think I might buy it and give it a try... but, yes, I would definitely prefer wireless...

Oh, and this is my favorite thing about Apple. People speculate for months and months about the typical stuff (iTunes phone), and when it comes out "eh." However, people wonder for awhile, on and off, about something (two button mouse), and when Apple releases it, it's a complete surprise, and even though people knew they would do it, they did it in a very Apple manner, and made it functional, yet completely new and different (touch sensors, scroll ball). Thanks, guys.

We needed another mouse around here anyways. I am hoping that the mouse volume can be turned to zero. Our computer is in the same room as our television. Some times the sound of the mouse clicking is very annoying.

We needed another mouse around here anyways. I am hoping that the mouse volume can be turned to zero. Our computer is in the same room as our television. Some times the sound of the mouse clicking is very annoying.

The mouse has sensors inside of it, with no moving parts, therefore it won't click at all. You just tap it to click, kind of like laptop trackpads can do. I'm not sure if you knew that or not... but yeah...

Its amazing! Apple finall released a two button mouse woth scroll wheel! I'm literally amazed!

Yes, the new Mighty Mouse is very nice. I saw it first thing this morning on Apple Insider. I have already talked with my wife about getting one for my Power Mac. She said OK. :D 8)

The mouse has sensors inside of it, with no moving parts, therefore it won't click at all.  You just tap it to click, kind of like laptop trackpads can do.

I guess this means that you cannot rest your fingers on the mouse, right? :roll:

The mouse has sensors inside of it, with no moving parts, therefore it won't click at all. You just tap it to click, kind of like laptop trackpads can do. I'm not sure if you knew that or not... but yeah...

ah HA! i found out what i think you were talking about. theres a speaker in the mouse, that gives a click sound when you do click. i think its a nice feature, but it doesnt look like too many people agree with me.

The mouse has sensors inside of it, with no moving parts, therefore it won't click at all.  You just tap it to click, kind of like laptop trackpads can do.

I guess this means that you cannot rest your fingers on the mouse, right? :roll:

maybe it requires a certain amount of pressure to actually click, so that you can rest fingers like any other mouse. im not sure.

Apple is always coming with something awesome. But doesn't anyone else think $49 for a corded mouse is a little steep when almost everything Apple supports a $25 one button mouse too? Although the vertical and horizontal control is very handy.

Hmm...

I really like keyboards that click... (like the old OmniKeys...)

I wonder how I will like a mouse that does not physically click.

No one really seemed to mind the switch to optical mouse from a physical pickup (like the rollers).

Just have to try and see.

I would expect eventually this mouse to be standard with the Pro machines and a BTO option for all.

LDJ

Apple is always coming with something awesome. But doesn't anyone else think $49 for a corded mouse is a little steep when almost everything Apple supports a $25 one button mouse too? Although the vertical and horizontal control is very handy.

Yeah, maybe a little bit. I think the justification is that it's a brand new product. There is a ton of speculation (especially people bitching over on SpyMac) about them releasing a Wireless, probably BlueTooth, version within the next few months. Let people buy the wired mouse who want it, then the wireless will be released relatively soon, and maybe Apple will get lucky, and some people will buy both. I bet when the wireless version comes out, we'll see the price lowered to something more manageable. At least, I hope we do...

I wonder how I will like a mouse that does not physically click.

Much like the iPod with the clicker when scrolling, the Mighty Mouse has an internal speaker that (I assume) makes a *click* sound when you click the mouse. Therefore, there will be some feedback from the mouse, even though you are not physically clicking it.