Sign in to follow this  
Tom.landy

apples 2 button scroller!

Hi everyone!

I just ordered mine today and I am really excited. I normally wouldn't spend so much ($44 for the educational pricing), but I thought it looked cool so I decided to go for it.

Love cool stuff from Apple :-)

Well I test drove a Might Mouse at lunch at my local Apple Store. It was a pretty funky drive. I am not really sure If I liked it or not, it was really hard to get used to. Over time I am sure it would come second nature just like any multi-button mouse.

We had to open a new one they didn't have any on display, but we opened it up plugged it in and it just worked. The set up in the System Preferences was different than the web site shows so I am assuming there will be an update coming for that. It recognized that there was a primary and secondary button but setting up the 3rd and 4th button was different. We set them up for Expose and Dashboard and we had to set them up in the Dashboard/Expose preferences not the mouse preferences as show on the web site.

The 360 scrolling was a little and different took some getting used to to be able to control a steady scroll. I didn't see it anywhere but it would be nice to be able to turn off one of the axis of scrolling, maybe only do vertical and not horizontal. The scroll ball button was kind of soft, real easy to push but it worked.

The left and right click took some time also. Don't get me wrong they work as described, just for me it was difficult. I tend to rest both fingers in the mouse when clicking, if you do that it appears to default to the primary button, I guess that makes sense. So if you want to right click you do have to raise the left finger off the mouse. Not a problem just took some getting used to.

As for the side buttons you really had to press them hard to get them to activate, which I guess is OK since that is where you grab the mouse to move it. So you don't want them overly sensitive.

I didn't notice the audio feedback. The store was pretty noisy, so I don't know if it was doing anything or not. It was really light also, seemed much lighter than a regular Apple mouse and definitely lighter than my Bluetooth mouse.

The Apple dude that was there with me said he didn't know for sure if they were coming out with a Bluetooth version but he hoped so. I guess he really couldn't say or not since they haven't announced anything yet. Towed the company line.

As for whether I would buy one or not. I probably won't buy a corded one because I have a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard now and because I have a mini I am shy on USB ports as it is. But I would definitely think about a BT one if they come out with one.

My wife will just be glad I didn't buy anything while I was there. :)

My wife will just be glad I didn't buy anything while I was there. :)

:lol: My wife worries when I go to any electronic store! I try do buy online instead and trash all the shipping materials before she comes home from work! Lucky for me I work from home!

Luckily I was able to buy one of these over my lunch break; the person who checked me out said they had just gotten the Mighty Mouses (Mice?) about an hour before I bought mine. :)

I read through the thread to see what other people's impressions were and I'm a little confused as to where people read that the mouse has a speaker. As far as I can tell, the mouse physically clicks. The whole top of the mouse is a button, like the original one-button mice with the clear outer shells. I think there are some sensors inside the shell that detects whether or not your finger is pressing down on the right side of the mouse to bring up the context menu when appropriate. If you turn the mouse upside down, you will see that the whole bottom part of the mouse can get pushed in, so it really is a physical click, not a virtual one.

The little scroll ball took some getting used to, but after a few minutes it didn't seem that strange. :) I have yet to try out the horizontal or diagonal scrolling, but I imagine that it would work as it should. At first I thought the scroll ball was just a sensor, kind of like the little "eraser nubs" on an IBM Thinkpad, but it is actually a rolling ball.

I'm glad to have a mouse that will allow middle-button clicking! Currently I'm using a Logitech V500 wireless mouse with my Mac mini, and I miss having the ability to click down on the middle button. The V500 has a touch sensor where the middle button would be to make scrolling easier and smoother...it was cool for a while, but then it got annoying because sometimes I'd accidentally swipe left or right over the sensor, which would go back or forward in my browser history, instead of scroll up or down the page I was reading. :P

I should point out that I am at work right now, so I actually have the Mighty Mouse plugged in to my Windows XP desktop machine at work. I will post another mini-review when I'm able to use the mouse at home on my Mac mini.

Anyway, the side buttons only have the functionality of going back in your web browser's history, so that wasn't really exciting under Windows XP. I will be sure to try these buttons out in OS X. You do have to press a bit harder to get these side buttons to activate, so I don't know how often I'm going to use them.

Overall, I think it's a slick mouse, even though it has the shortest USB cable ever. I will write more about my impressions when I've been able to play with the software for Tiger.

I read through the thread to see what other people's impressions were and I'm a little confused as to where people read that the mouse has a speaker.  As far as I can tell, the mouse physically clicks.  The whole top of the mouse is a button, like the original one-button mice with the clear outer shells.  I think there are some sensors inside the shell that detects whether or not your finger is pressing down on the right side of the mouse to bring up the context menu when appropriate.  If you turn the mouse upside down, you will see that the whole bottom part of the mouse can get pushed in, so it really is a physical click, not a virtual one.

Wow! A first actual review! I'm glad to hear everything about what you said. I see what you're talking about with the button, and now that I think about it, that's really a creative way for Apple to do it. Only one button, but the sensors detect which side. However, I still have heard talk about the speaker inside. Then again, I didn't see anything on Apple's website about it. Can you tell, is there any artificial sound, like the clicking of an iPod, that the mouse uses at all?

Thanks so much for all the info. This seems like a really solid mouse, and I'm glad Apple finally did it.

Wow! A first actual review! I'm glad to hear everything about what you said. I see what you're talking about with the button, and now that I think about it, that's really a creative way for Apple to do it. Only one button, but the sensors detect which side. However, I still have heard talk about the speaker inside. Then again, I didn't see anything on Apple's website about it. Can you tell, is there any artificial sound, like the clicking of an iPod, that the mouse uses at all?

Nope, as far as I can tell it makes a physical clicking noise. Button clicking seems to work just like the original one-button mice with the clear shells (except for the right clicking, of course). It really is an elegant update to the original one-button mice. The only thing you can't do is to "rock" between the left and right mouse "buttons" do to any rocker mouse gestures for going forward or back in Firefox's browser history (with a mouse gesture extension). But I don't use that functionality much anyway, since you can do other right-click mouse gestures to do the same thing.

I ordered one from the Apple store this morning and it should be here tomorrow (I hope). Look for a review on a MacCast soon. :lol:

Is the cable the same length as the regular Apple one-button mouse? If so, I don't think I can bring myself to get one as I'm on an iBook and the cord is barely long enough to reach around from the USB ports on the left side.

And even if they do a Bluetooth version, I don't have Bluetooth in my iBook. :(

I estimate that the cable length is around 2' to 2.5'. It's pretty short, but you could always get a USB extension cable, like what comes with the Apple keyboard.

I have yet to try out the horizontal or diagonal scrolling, but I imagine that it would work as it should.

It does, just make your browser window small adn you will see it scroll diagonal when you roll the ball to the corners. Actually it will scroll in circles if you roll your finger in a circle. Kind of makes you a little motion sick. :o

The ideaof 360 degress scroller is very awesome. Hppefully, I'll get one soon. I had just asked a question about two button mouses that fitted the Mac. :D

Hey, I just got my new Mighty Mouse, and it is so cool! I love the dashboard and app launcher. The 360 is also a very handy feature! Steve finnally gave up on his one-button mouse theory, i guess, since there were so many complaints. I love it, and totally recommend it to everyone! 8)

Okay, I've installed the mouse onto my Mac mini at home and so far it works well, although now I can't seem to replicate the middle mouse button functionality in Firefox that I have on my PC at work.

I configured the scroll ball to act as "Button 3" when I click on it, but so far it doesn't seem to work as a middle mouse button. In Firefox, if I click on a link with the middle mouse button, it is supposed to open in a new tab (I think this functionality comes with the All-in-One Gestures extension that I have installed). Also, if I middle click on an existing tab, it's supposed to close that tab (I believe that functionality is just a built-in feature configurable in Firefox). So far neither of those features work in OS X, though it did work on my PC. Any ideas?

I think that when people thought that there is a little speaker in the mouse, they were misunderstanding the little blurb on one of the product webpages that says this:

Mighty Mouse even sounds as good as it feels. The audio feedback built into Mighty Mouse provides an aural sensation that responds to your movements. When you scroll or click, Mighty Mouse produces subtle sound effects based on your actions.

The audio feedback described by that little blurb is not from a speaker. It just means that they constructed the scroll ball and mouse button such that they make a noise when you scroll or click, so that you get feedback on the actions you are performing. For the scroll ball, there are little gears or something that click when you move it around. And the mouse button clicks when you press down on it. But they're both physical noises, not generated through a speaker.

I also found out that if you scroll to the left or right with the ball, it will navigate back or forward through your browser history (at least that's what it does with Firefox). I didn't configure anything specifically to do this. In that respect, the Mighty Mouse acts like my Logitech V500. However, unlike the V500, I am a lot less likely to accidentally scroll left or right with the scroll ball when I mean to scroll up and down. The scroll ball is a lot less sensitive/twitchy than the V500's touch sensor.

Now, if I can just get the middle mouse click functionality working correctly, I'll be a 100% satisfied customer! As it stands now, I'm about 90% satisfied with the mouse. :)

Apple has come up with a great design for it's first multi-button mouse. I think the price is a bit steep (although that's not overly surprising). My biggest gripe (without actually using one yet) is the configuration software. It's just not on-par with many other manufacturer's offerings. Heck, even the MicroSloth Mouse software lets you have different configurations for different apps.

I'll be in Denver next week, so I'll try to check one out at the Cherry Creek Mall store.

Butch

Man... this is bad. I'm trying not to spend anymore money (Just brought an brand spanking new 20" iMac last saturday!) and now with the new mouse at $49. Even worst Apple Store is within one mile radius from my office.

Just came back from the Apple store in Costa Mesa. All sold out and only one in the store for demo. They had about 20 of them and people were already waiting before the store open.

So I tried it and I like it. In fact, I like it a lot and there is not much of a learning curve at all. Right click feels very natural. Only the side buttons feels a little weird and it's program to launch expose. I just have to learn not to squeeze that part of the mouse too hard.

I hope they have a wireless version out soon.

I'll wait too and test one out when the local stores get them in. We don't have any Apple Stores, so the resellers won't have it for sure yet. Good to hear that some of you have one and like it.

Just came back from the Apple store in Costa Mesa.  All sold out and only one in the store for demo.  They had about 20 of them and people were already waiting before the store open.  

So I tried it and I like it.  In fact, I like it a lot and there is not much of a learning curve at all.  Right click feels very natural.  Only the side buttons feels a little weird and it's program to launch expose.   I just have to learn not to squeeze that part of the mouse too hard.  

I hope they have a wireless version out soon.

I've seen pictures of System Preferences>Mouse, where you can edit which buttons do what function. You can change the side buttons to do Expose, Dashboard, Application Switcher, etc. I'm sure theres even a way to have the button do nothing, so that you don't have to worry about squeezing too hard.

There is a way to have the buttons do nothing. I was reading a review of the mouse this morning and found out that Apple defaults the settings for the right button to Nothing, so the mouse would work just like a single button mouse, but with a scroll ball.

There is a way to have the buttons do nothing.  I was reading a review of the mouse this morning and found out that Apple defaults the settings for the right button to Nothing, so the mouse would work just like a single button mouse, but with a scroll ball.

Yeah, that's what I figured. Otherwise, the people who want the traditional one-button mouse would get pretty upset.

Yeah, that's what I figured.  Otherwise, the people who want the traditional one-button mouse would get pretty upset.

I have gone back and forth between the original mouse that came with my Power Mac and a Logitech Trackball that I have. I like having the second button, but I still find myself Control-left clicking from time to time. :)

i love the idea but the cord that the mouse comes with just isn;t long enought for my needs and my table :( so no buy till bluetooth.