bsalter

AVI to MP4 Conversion

I would like to apologize in advance if I'm not using the correct terminology. I'm using an iMac 2GHZ Intel core 2 duo with OS 10.4.8 and what I'm trying to achieve is converting a 700MB Avi formatted Movie to a Mp4 file to view within iTunes.

I have tried using Quicktime Pro (AVI Divx 5.21 plugin and Flip4MAc plugin); ffmpeg; Mpeg Streamclip; and DivXDoctor II. Sometimes I'm successful, most times I am not. I think my problem is not being familiar with the proper conversion (video) setting(s) for the above mentioned applications.

1. For those apps listed above (or not listed) is there one program which this group would recommend for the avi-mp4 conversion; and

2. would someone be willing to recommend the proper video conversion setting to achieve a good quality conversion. One which can be imported/veiwed in iTunes.

Thank You

If your just worried about being viewed in iTunes, without needing it to be watched on an iPod or anything, you can just open MPEG Streamclip, load that movie in there, hit file > Save As and on the menu on the bottom of that window change it from AVI to MOV. Then just drag the MOV file into iTunes.

Otherwise, maybe try iSquint, from what i remember it should be fairly stripped down and straight forward, should auto detect the settings and format it for iPod viewing, would lose abit of quality though.

Thank you for your prompt reply. The source media (Avi) is 620 X 256. Using the export to MPEG-4 in Streamclip; H.264 Encoder, interlaced scaling, 620 X 256; and 100 quality setting (all default setting with the exception of the quality which I changed from 50% to 100%) I get a "white" background in Quicktime Pro and only audi - no video, the audio at times is also messed up. I can import the converted media into iTunes, but iTunes (ver 7.02) will not play/open the video. My over-all objective is just to get the AVI media converted and into iTunes. Maybe I should try just converting the media to a .mov format? Anyway, thanks again for your response.

If you use 100% quality setting on transcoding in any app it usually doesn't work. And no matter how high you set it, you'll always have quality loss when transcoding (not necessarily noticeable, but it'll be there), and setting the bitrate too high can cause it not to play.

If you have the codec to play the original movie, then in MPEG Streamclip if you just go to File, and hit Save As, and click on where it says AVI and change it to MOV, then it wont transcode the file, it will just change the container that its in, so theres no quality loss and it takes much much less time and it loads in iTunes no problem and you dont have to mess with any settings.

Edited by ithonicfury

Try installing either the DivX and 3ivX plugins for Quicktime or the Perian plugin:

http://www.divx.com/divx/mac/

http://www.3ivx.com/download/macos.html

http://perian.org

Unless your AVI files are using a weird codec this should let you play them from Quicktime (and Front Row) without having to do any conversion. To enable iTunes to add them to your library you need to save them as reference movies from within QT Pro. If you don't have QT Pro you can also use Apple's free MakeRefMovie utility, which can be found at:

http://developer.apple.com/quicktime/quicktimeintro/tools/

(A reference movie is a small file that simply wraps the location of the actual movie in a .mov format.)

Finally, if the only reason you want them in iTunes is to play them fullscreen (and you don't have QT Pro), use this instead:

http://www.macparc.ch/mirror/QT_Full_Screen

This will allow you to run QT fullscreen without QT Pro and the playback performance is much better than it is within iTunes.

Craig

Edited by Craig

To play AVI files in quicktime you might as well just get Perian and have it all in one, but the codecs arent the issue. AVI files cant be added into iTunes' movies section. So they either need to be converted to a supported format, change the container their in to something iTunes recognizes, or using Quicktime Plus to export a Quicktime Media Link.

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with all the information - I now have a much better understanding of what I need to do. Thanks again.

You could also try "Visual Hub". You can convert just about any type of video format into iTunes/iPod/PSP/DV/DVD/AVI/MP4/WMV/MPEG/Flash. It is very easy to use and there are lots of options available.

I have only tried the demo version but worked quite fast and reliably. I was converting AVI files (DivX) and seeing if I could watch them in iTunes, hoping that it might make Apple TV worth buying.

WP