Sign in to follow this  
MyJRNY

My new (old) Airport card

I bought an Airport card (not express) on ebay last week from a reputable seller. Last night I was so stoked thinking that I could just plug it in and watch it go like I did when I bought a wireless card for my iBook. No such luck. I have a G4 Powermac and it seems to be recognizing the card, but the card is not recognizing the network.

Things I've done:

1. Double-checked that it is all the way plugged in.

2. Spent an hour with tech-support with my ISP.

3. Ran software update.

I know the name of my network and the password, but even when I try to manually enter it it won't work. Tell me some things I can try to get it to work. I'll probably take the card into the Genius Bar sometime this weekend, but I'd love to solve this on my own.

Check your base station is set to b/g not just to g networking. Your new (old!) card won't see the network is it's g only.

Check your base station is set to b/g not just to g networking. Your new (old!) card won't see the network is it's g only.

Well, I don't have a base station. I have a 2WIRE modem that I got when I subscribed to my ISP. Knowing its age, I can't imagine that it is g only.

Any other thoughts?

It wont be hardwired g only, but it may be a software setting. I can set my routers to b only, g only or mixed. You need it set to mixed.